Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

Thank you for your interest in visiting the department. 

Please note that if you require a visa, we advise applying 3-4 months before the planned start date.

Visitor application overview

Visitor sends application - Group leader reviews application - visitor team reviews application - HR processes application

The below information relates to our usual processes when government restrictions do not apply. Please ensure you read the following sections carefully before submitting your application as this will provide you with the necessary guidelines to fill in your form. 

Please note that each stage can take up to 10 working days.


In order to process your request we will need to receive your application:

  • at least 16 weeks before your arrival if you are a non-EEA citizen and are requiring a visa;
  • at least 6 weeks in advance if only Letter of Invitation required;
  • 4 weeks before your arrival if no visa is required.

Who qualifies as a visitor?

All people falling into the categories below will need to fill in an application form to visit the Department.

  • A senior academic carrying out his/her own research within DPAG and not employed on a departmentally-funded project
  • An academic coming to collaborate on University-hosted research
  • A researcher employed by another Oxford University department or college coming to DPAG for collaborative purposes
  • A researcher employed elsewhere coming to DPAG for collaborative purposes
  • A student from another institution working on a temporary basis with academic staff in DPAG
  • A student on a summer internship - Please contact the HR Team for an initial discussion
  • An individual who would like to undertake work experience (and who is not part of an existing school work experience programme) - Please contact the HR Team for an initial discussion

 Who is not a visitor

  • A speaker coming for a seminar (please note a visa invitation letter may still be required)
  • A work experience school student - Please contact the HR Team 
  • A student who is already registered at the University of Oxford (FHS, MSc, etc) - Please contact our Graduate Studies Office

Important VISA Information

Visitors to the UK who wish to participate in any activities in the University must hold an appropriate visa. Visitors holding a general 'tourist' visa are not allowed to participate in any activities in the University whatsoever.

When you arrive in the department we will need to view your passport / ID.

This applies to all visitors.

I am a citizen of the UK

You will not need a visa, but you must show the HR team your original passport document/ birth certificate/ national ID card no later than your first day in the department.

I am a non-UK citizen

Due to immigration changes if you don’t currently hold a UK passport, birth certificate or UK visa and haven’t been residing in the UK before 31st December 2020 you will need a letter of invitation from DPAG HR before you can travel into the UK. This will be required either for a visa application or for entry into the UK.

You will need to apply for a visa if you are a visa national and will only need a letter of invitation if you are a non-visa national.

Please do not arrange any travel plans to the UK until the visitor teams has been in contact regarding your visa requirements.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Declaration

With effect from the 21st May 2021 the UK Government requires that all international visiting researchers need to provide an ATAS certificate prior to arrival in the UK and prior to any UK Home Office required Visa application is submitted. For more information please visit the University’s Staff Immigration website.

Exempt Nationalities, who will not need to provide an ATAS certificate, include: UK, EU, EEA, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland, South Korea and the USA. Please note that if you hold dual nationality with any of these countries you will also be exempt from providing an ATAS certificate.

Please do not start any research in the department until you have received an ATAS certificate, if you think you are eligible. Our Visitor team will be in touch to see if this is needed.

I already have a UK visa

Please ensure you:

  • Attach a scan of your current visa and photo page of your passport to the application form
  • Provide information about what kind of visa you have in the 'Nationality and Visa status' section of the form
  • If you have a TIER 4 or TIER 5 visa please let us of your current UK sponsor in the 'Nationality and Visa status' section of the form
  • Information about the nature of your visit and if you intend to undertake any paid work in our department in the 'Purpose of visit' section of the form

Please note there may be conditions attached to your visa. In all cases you will also need to show us your passport and visa documents on your first day.

I have a visa application currently being considered by the Home Office

Please provide information about your current visa application and further details of your current visa status in the 'Nationality and Visa status' section of the form.

I need a visa

Please state that you will need a Visa in the 'Nationality and Visa status' section of the form. Our Visitor Team will be in touch and you will need to provide us with: 

    • A copy of the photo page of your passport
    • Confirmation of your current country of residence
    • Your CV
    • Confirmation of funding source for your visit (if you are funded)
    • Proposed length of stay for your visit.
    • Description of the purpose of your visit including whether you will be:
      - Collaborating on a ‘university hosted research project’?
      - Whether the research you will be doing will form part of a course of study overseas?
      - If you will be conducting your own private research?
      - Are you on sabbatical from an overseas institution and if so which institution?
      - Is your visit part of an arranged exchange programme?

I don’t know if I need a visa

Please provide as much detail as you can about your visit including your nationality on the application form or visit the government visa page. Our Visitor Team will contact you as soon as possible.

Contact us

If you have any queries, please contact our HR Team.

In order to apply for visitation, we will require you to input certain information in the application form below. To find out more about how we use and collect your personal data, view our data privacy notice.

How to apply

Application form arrow 

Access Application Form


University Card 

After your application has been approved you will be sent an application form for a University Card. 

This card provides you with your University IT and email privileges and will also give you access to our Departmental buildings and other University facilities such as the libraries.

Please see the University Estate Services website for more information on applying for virtual access.

Visitor Departmental Access Cards

If you are a registered visitor to the Department, you may require a Departmental Access Card. If you require an access card, you will be required to pay a refundable £15 deposit payable at the University's online store.

Once you have made your payment, please provide the receipt number to the Facilities team and on production of ID, you will be provided with a new access card.

When your visit to the department ends, return your access card to the Finance Office, who will refund your £15 deposit.

On this page