Publications: Frances Mary Ashcroft
Ashcroft FM (2012) The Spark of Life. Penguin 339 pages.
Ashcroft FM (2000) Life at the Extremes. Harper Collins. 326 pages.
Ashcroft FM (2000) Ion Channels and Disease. Academic Press. 481 pages.
Ashcroft FM, Ashcroft SJH (1992) Eds. Insulin - Molecular Biology to Pathology. Oxford University Press
Papers in refereed journals
319. Sachse S, Haythorne E, Hill T, Proks P, Joynson R, Terrón-Expósito R, Bentley L, Tucker SJ, Cox RD and Ashcroft FM (2021). The KCNJ11-E23K gene variant hastens diabetes progression by impairing glucose-induced insulin secretion. Diabetes db200691.
318. Pipatpolkai T, Corey RA, Proks P, Ashcroft FM, Stansfeld PJ. (2020). Evaluating Inositol phospholipid interactions with Inward Rectifier Potassium Channels and their role in Disease. Communications Chemistry 3, 147.
317. Pipatpolkai T, Usher S, Stansfeld PJ, Ashcroft FM (2020) New insights into KATP channel gene mutations and neonatal diabetes. Nat Rev Endocrinol 16, 378-393.
316. Usher SG, Ashcroft FM, Puljung MC (2020) Nucleotide inhibition of the pancreatic ATP-sensitive K+ channel explored with patch-clamp fluorometry. eLIFE 9, e52775
315. Haythorne E, Rohm M, van de Bunt M, Brereton MF, Tarasov AI, Blacker TS, Sachse G, Silva dos Santos M, Terron Exposito R, Davis S, Baba O, Fischer R, Duchen MR, Rorsman P, MacRae JI, Ashcroft FM (2019) Diabetes causes marked inhibition of mitochondrial metabolism in pancreatic β-cells Nature Commun 10, 2474.
314. Ved N, Curran A, Ashcroft FM, Sparrow D (2019) Tamoxifen administration in pregnant mice can be deleterious to both mother and embryo. Laboratory Animals, 53, 630-633.
313. Gommers LMM, Hill TG, Ashcroft FM, de Baaij JHF (2019). Low extracellular magnesium does not impair glucose-stimulated insulin secretion. PLOS One 14, e0217925.
312. Puljung M, Vedovato N, Usher S, Ashcroft FM (2019) Activation mechanism of ATP-sensitive K+ channels explored with real-time nucleotide binding. eLIFE 8:e41103.
311. Vergari E, Knudsen K, Ramracheya R, Salehi A, Zhang Q, Adam J, Asterholm I, Benrick A, Briant L, Chibalina MV, Gribble F, Hamilton A, Hastoy B, Reimann F, Rorsman N, Spiliotis I, Tarasov T, Wu Y, Ashcroft, FM, Rorsman P (2018) Insulin inhibits glucagon release by SGLT2-induced stimulation of somatostatin secretion, Nature Commun 10: 139.
310. Kurstjens S, de Baaij JHF, Overmars-Bos C, van den Munckhof ICL, Garzero V, de Vries MA, Burggraaf B, van Diepen JA, Riksen NP, Rutten JHW, Netea MG, Castro Cabezas M, Bindels RJM, Ashcroft FM, Tack CJJ, Hoenderop JGJ (2018) Increased NEFA levels reduce blood Mg2+ in hypertriacylglycerolaemic states via direct binding of NEFA to Mg2. Diabetologia 62, 311-321.
309. Knudsen JG, Hamilton A, Ramracheya R, Tarasov AI, Brereton M, Haythorne E, Chibalina MV, Spégel P, Mulder H, Zhang Z, Ashcroft FM, Adam J, Rorsman P (2018) Dysregulation of glucagon secretion by hyperglycemia-induced sodium-dependent reduction of ATP production. Cell Metabolism, 29, 430-442.
308. Vedovato N, Rorsman O, Hennis K, Ashcroft FM, Proks P (2018) The role of the C-terminus of SUR in the differential regulation of b-cell and cardiac KATP channels by MgADP and metabolism. J Physiol 596, 6205-6217.
307. Tarasov A, Galvanovskis J, Rorsman O, Hamilton A, Vergari E, Johnson PRV, Reimann F, Ashcroft FM, Rorsman P (2018). Monitoring the real-time hormone release kinetics via high-content 3-D imaging of compensatory endocytosis. Lab Chip 18, 2838-2848
306. Kurstjens S, van Diepen JA, Overmars-Bos C, Alkema W, Bindels RJM, Ashcroft FM, Tack CJJ, Hoenderop JGJ, de Baaij JHF (2018). Magnesium deficiency prevents high-fat-diet-induced obesity in mice Diabetologia 61, 2030-2042
305. Misra S, Vedovato N, Cliff E, De Franco E, Hattersley AT, Ashcroft FM, Oliver NS (2018) Permanent neonatal diabetes: combining sulfonylureas with insulin may be an effective treatment. Diabetic Med. Jun 13. doi: 10.1111/dme.13758
304. Rohm M, Savic D, Ball V, Curtis MK, Bonham S, Fischer R, Legrave N, MacRae JI, Tyler DJ, Ashcroft FM (2018) Cardiac dysfunction and metabolic inflexibility in a mouse model of diabetes without dyslipidaemia. Diabetes 67, 1057-1067
303. Proks P, Kramer H, Haythorne E, Ashcroft FM (2018) Binding of sulphonylureas to plasma proteins - a KATP channel perspective. PLoS One 13:e0197634.
302. Rorsman P, Ashcroft FM (2018) Pancreatic β-cell electrical activity and insulin secretion: Of mice and men. Physiological Reviews 98, 117-214
301. Adam J, Ramracheya R, Chibalina MV, Ternette N, Hamilton A, Tarasov AI, Zhang Q, Rebelato E, Rorsman NJG, Martín-Del-Río R, Lewis A, Özkan G, Do HW, Spégel P, Saitoh K, Kato K, Igarashi K, Kessler BM, Pugh CW, Tamarit-Rodriguez J, Mulder H, Clark A, Frizzell N, Soga T, Ashcroft FM, Silver A, Pollard PJ, Rorsman P (2017). Fumarate Hydratase Deletion in Pancreatic β Cells Leads to Progressive Diabetes. Cell Rep 20, 3135-3148
300. Flanagan SE, Dũng VC, Ngoc CTB, Damhuis A, Houghton JAL, Ashcroft FM, Harries LW, Ellard S (2017). An ABCC8 nonsense mutation causing neonatal diabetes through altered transcript expression. Journal of Clinical Research in Pediatric Endocrinology, 9, 260-264.
299. Ashcroft FM, Rohm M, Clark A, Brereton M (2017). Is type 2 diabetes a glycogen storage disease of pancreatic beta-cells? Cell Metabolism 26, 17-23.
298. Briant LJB, Zhang Q, Vergari E, Kellard JA, Rodriguez B, Ashcroft FM, Rorsman P (2017) Functional identification of islet cell types by electrophysiological fingerprinting. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. J R 14. pii: 20160999
297. Ashcroft FM, Puljung MC, Vedovato N (2017) Neonatal diabetes and the KATP channel: from mutation to therapy. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism 28, 377-387.
296. Dahan T, Ziv O, Horwitz E, Ashcroft FM, In’t Veld PI, Glaser B, Dor Y (2016) Pancreatic beta cells express the fetal islet hormone gastrin in rodent and human diabetes. Diabetes 66, 426-436.
295. Brereton MF, Rohm R, Shimomura K, Holland C, Tornovsky-Babeay S, Dadon D, Iberl M, Chibalina MV, Lee S, Glaser B, Dor Y, Rorsman P, Clark A, Ashcroft FM (2016). Hyperglycaemia induces metabolic dysfunction and glycogen accumulation in pancreatic beta-cells. Nature Commun 7, 13496.
294. Brereton M, Rohm M, Ashcroft FM (2016). Hyperglycaemia and the pancreatic beta-cells: a crisis of identity? Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism 18 (S1), 102-110.
293. Proks P, Puljung MC, Vedovato N, Sachse G, Mulvaney R, Ashcroft FM (2016) Running out of time: the decline of channel activity and nucleotide activation in ATP-sensitive K-channels. Phil Trans Roy Soc B, 371, 20150426.
292. Vedovato V, Cliff E, Proks P, Poovazhagi V, Flanagan SE, Ellard S, Hattersley AT, Ashcroft FM (2016). Neonatal Diabetes caused by a homozygous KCNJ11 mutation demonstrates that tiny changes in ATP sensitivity markedly affect diabetes risk. Diabetologia 59, 1430-1436.
291. Babiker T, Vedovato N, Patel K, Thomas N, Finn R, Männikkö R, Chakera AJ, Flanagan SE, Shepherd MH, Ellard S, Ashcroft FM*, Hattersley AT* (2016). Successful transfer to sulfonylureas in KCNJ11 neonatal diabetes is determined by the mutation and duration of diabetes. Diabetologia 59, 1162-1166. * joint communicating authors.
290. Vedovato N, Ashcroft FM, Puljung M (2015). The nucleotide-binding sites of SUR1: a mechanistic model. Biophysical Journal 109, 2452-2460.
289. O’Connell SM, Proks P, Kramer H, Mattis K, Sachse G, Joyce C, Houghton JA, Ellard S, Hattersley AT, Ashcroft FM, O’Riordan SMP (2015) The value of in vitro studies in a case of neonatal diabetes with a novel Kir6.2-W68G mutation. Clinical case reports 3, 884-887.
288. Lahmann C, Kramer HB, Ashcroft FM (2015) Systemic administration of glibenclamide fails to achieve therapeutic levels in the brain and cerebrospinal fluid of rodents. PLOS One 10: e0134476
287. Cantley J, Ashcroft FM (2015) Q & A. Insulin secretion and type 2 diabetes: why do beta-cells fail? BMC Biology 13:33.
287. Merkestein M, Laber S, McMurray F, Andrew D, Sachse G, Sanderson J, Li M, Samuel Usher S, Sellayah D‡, Ashcroft FM‡ & Cox RD‡ (2015) FTO Influences Adipogenesis by Regulating Mitotic Clonal Expansion. Nature Commun 6:6792 ‡ Joint lead authors
286. McMurray F, Demetriades M, Aik W, Merkestein M, Kramer H, Andrew DS, Scudamore CL, Hough TA, Wells S, Ashcroft FM, McDonough MA, Schofield CJ, Cox RD (2015) Pharmacological Inhibition of FTO. PLOS One 10, e0121829
285. Proks P, de Wet H, Ashcroft FM (2014) Sulphonylureas suppress the stimulatory action of Mg-nucleotides on Kir6.2/SUR1 but not Kir6.2/SUR2A KATP channels: a mechanistic study. J gen Physiol. 144, 469-486.
284. Zhang Z, Chibalina MV, Bengtsson M, Groschner LN, Ramracheya R, Rorsman NJR, Leiss V, Nassar MA, Welling A, Gribble FM, Reimann F, Hofmann2 F, Wood JN, Ashcroft FM‡, Rorsman P‡ (2014) Na+ current properties in islet a- and b-cells reflect cell-specific Scn3a and Scn9a expression. J Physiol 592, 4677-4696. ‡Joint lead authors
283. Myngheer N, Allegaert K, Hattersley A, McDonald T, Kramer H, Ashcroft FM, Verhaeghe J, Mathieu C, Casteels K (2014) Fetal Macrosomia and Neonatal Hyperinsulinemic Hypoglycemia Associated with Transplacental Transfer of Sulfonylurea in a Mother with KCNJ11-Related Neonatal Diabetes. Diabetes Care 37, 3333-3335.
282. Brereton MF, Iberla M, Shimomura K, Zhang Q, Adriaenssens AE, Proks P, Spiliotis II, Dace W, Mattis KK, Ramracheya A, FM, Reimann F, Clark A, Rorsman P, Ashcroft FM (2104) Reversible changes in pancreatic islet structure and function produced by elevated blood glucose. Nature Communications 5, 4639.
281. Heinzen EL, Arzimanoglou A, Brashear A, Clapcote SJ, Gurrieri F, Goldstein DB, Jóhannesson SH, Mikati MA, Neville B, Nicole S, Ozelius LJ, Poulsen H, Schyns T, Sweadner KJ, van den Maagdenberg A, Vilsen B; ATP1A3 Working Group (2014) Distinct neurological disorders with ATP1A3 mutations. Lancet Neurol 13:503-14
280. Merkestein M, McTaggart JS, Lee S, Kramer H, McMurray F, Lafond M, Boutens L, Cox R, Ashcroft FM (2014) Changes in gene expression associated with FTO overexpression in mice. Plos One 9, e97162
279. Lahmann C, Clark RH, Iberl M, Ashcroft FM. (2014) A mutation causing increased KATP channel activity leads to reduced anxiety in mice. Physiol Behav 129:79-84.
278. Tornovsky-Babeay S, Dadon D, Ziv O, Tzipilevich E, Kadosh T, Schyr-Ben Haroush R, Hija A, Stolovich-Rain M, Furth-Lavi J, Granot Z, Porat S, Philipson LH, Herold KC, Bhatti TR, Stanley C, Ashcroft FM, In't Veld P, Saada A, Magnuson MA, Glaser B, Dor Y (2014) Type 2 Diabetes and Congenital Hyperinsulinism Cause DNA Double-Strand Breaks and p53 Activity in β Cells. Cell Metabolism 19, 109-121.
277. Zhang Q, Ramracheya R, Lahmann C, Tarasov A, Bengtsson M, Braha O, Braun M, Brereton M, Collins S, Galvanovskis J, Gonzales A, Groschner L, Rorsman NJ, Salehi A, Travers ME, Walker JN, Gloyn AL, Gribble F, Johnson PR, Reimann F, Ashcroft FM,* Rorsman P* (2013) Role of KATP channels in glucose-induced glucagon secretion and impaired counter regulation in type 2 diabetes. Cell Metabolism 18, 871-882 *joint lead authors
276. Shimomura K, Tusa M, Iberl M, Brereton M, Kaizik S, Proks P, Lahmann C, Yaluri N, Modi S, Huopio H, Ustinov J, Otonkoski T, Laakso M, Ashcroft FM (2013). A mouse model of human hyperinsulinism produced by the E1506K mutation in the sulphonylurea receptor SUR1. Diabetes 62, 3793-3806
275. Proks P, de Wet H, Ashcroft FM (2013) Molecular mechanism of sulphonylurea block of KATP channels carrying mutations that impair ATP inhibition and cause neonatal diabetes. Diabetes 62, 3909-3919
274. Ashcroft M, Rorsman (2013) KATP channels and islet hormone secretion: recent findings and controversies. Nature Reviews Endocrinology 9,660-669.
273. McTaggart JS, Jenkinson N, Brittain J-S, Greeley SAW, Hattersley AT, Ashcroft FM (2103) Gain-of-function mutations in the KATP channel (KCNJ11) impair coordinated hand-eye tracking. PLoS ONE 8, e62646.
272. Brereton MF, Ashcroft FM (2013) Mouse models of -cell KATP channel dysfunction. Drug Discovery Today: Disease Models 10, e101-e109.
271. Loh NY, Bentley L, Dimke H, Verkaart S, Tammaro P, Gorvin CM, Stechman MJ, Ahmad BN, Hannan FM, Piret SE, Evans H, Bellantuono I, Hough TH, Fraser WD, Hoenderop JGJ, Ashcroft FM, Brown SDM, Bindels RJM, Cox RD, Thakker RV(2013) Autosomal Dominant Hypercalciuria in a Mouse Model Due to a Mutation of the Epithelial Calcium Channel, TRPV5. PLoS ONE 8, e55412.
270. Fendler W, Pietrzak I, Brereton MF, Lahmann CL, Gadzicki M, Bienkiewicz M, Drozdz I, Borowiec M, Malecki MT, Ashcroft FM, Mlynarski W (2013). Switching to sulphonylureas in children with iDEND syndrome caused by KCNJ11 mutations results in improved cerebellar perfusion. Diabetes Care 36, 2311-2316.
269. Gulati P, Cheung M, Antrobus R, Church C, Harding H, Loraine Tung Y-CL, Rimmington D, Ma M, Ron D, Lehner P, Ashcroft FM, Cox RD, Coll AP, O’Rahilly S, Yeo GSH (2013) A role for the obesity-related FTO gene in the cellular sensing of amino acids. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 110, 2557-2562
268. McMurray F, Church CD, Larder R, Nicholson G, Wells S, Teboul L, Tung YCL, Rimmington D, Bosch F, Jimenez V, Yeo GSH, O’Rahilly S, Ashcroft FM*, Coll AP*, Cox RD* (2013) Adult onset global loss of the Fto gene alters body composition and metabolism in the mouse. PLOS Genetics 9: e1003166. (*joint senior authors)
267. Fotinou C, Aittoniemi J, de Wet H, Polidori A, Pucci B, Sansom M, Vénien-Bryan C, Ashcroft FM (2013) Tetrameric structure of the purified sulphonylurea receptor SUR2B revealed by electron microscopy of single particles on lipid monolayers. FEBS J 280, 1051-1063
266. de Wet H, Shimomura K, Aittoniemi J, Nawaz A, Lafond M, Sansom M, Ashcroft FM (2012) A universally conserved residue in the SUR1 subunit of the KATP channel is essential for translating nucleotide binding at SUR1 into channel opening. J Physiol 590, 5025-5036.
265. Ashcroft FM, Rorsman P (2012) Diabetes and the beta-cell: the last ten years. Cell, 148, 1160-1171.
264. Clark R, Mannikko R, Stuckey D, Iberl M, Clarke K, Ashcroft FM (2012) Mice expressing a human KATP channel mutation have altered channel ATP sensitivity, but no cardiac abnormalities. Diabetologia 55, 1195-1204.
263. McTaggart JS, Lee S, Iberl M, Church C, Cox RD, Ashcroft FM (2011) FTO is Expressed in Neurons Throughout the Brain and its Expression is Unaltered by Fasting. PLoS One 6, e27968.
262. Church C, Moir L, McMurray F, Girard C, Banks GT, Teboul L, Wells S, Brüning JC, Nolan PM, Ashcroft FM, Cox RD (2011) Overexpression of Fto leads to increased food intake and results in obesity. Nature Genet 42, 1086-1092.
261. Männikkö R, Stansfeld PJ, Ashcroft AS, Hattersley AT, Sansom M, Ellard S, Ashcroft FM (2011). A conserved tryptophan at the membrane-water interface acts as a gatekeeper for Kir6.2/SUR1 channels and causes neonatal diabetes when mutated. J Physiol 589, 3071-3083.
260. Männikkö R, Flanagan SE, Sim X, Segal D, Hussain K, Ellard S, Hattersley AT Ashcroft FM (2011) Mutations of the same conserved glutamate residue in NBD2 of the sulphonylurea 1 subunit of the KATP channel can result in either hyperinsulinism or neonatal diabetes. Diabetes 60, 1813-1822.
259. Meadows NA, Saxty B, Albury MS, Kettleborough CA, Ashcroft FM, Moore AL, Cox RD (2011) A high-throughput assay for modulators of NNT activity in permeabilised yeast cells. J Biomol Screen 16, 734-743.
258. Porat S, Weinberg-Corem N, Turnovsky-Babaey S, Schyr-Ben-Haroush R, Hija A, Stolovich-Rain M, Dadon D, Granot Z, Ben-Hur V, White P, Girard CA, Karni R, Kaestner KH, Ashcroft FM, Magnuson MA, Saada A, Grimsby J, Glaser B, Dor Y (2011) Control of pancreatic beta-cell regeneration by glucose metabolism. Cell Metab 13, 440-449.
257. Clark RH, McTaggart JS, Webster R, Mannikko R, Iberl M, Sim XL, Rorsman P, Glitsch M, Beeson D, Ashcroft FM (2010) Muscle dysfunction caused by a KATP channel mutation in neonatal diabetes is neuronal in origin. Science 329, 458-461.
255. Proks P, de Wet H, Ashcroft FM (2010) Activation of the KATP channel by Mg-nucleotide interaction with SUR1. J Gen Physiol 136, 389-405.
255. Pörksen S, Laborie LB, Nielsen L, Andersen MLM, Sandal T, de Wet H, Schwarz E, Åman J, Swift P, Kocova K, Schönle EJ, de Beaufort C, Hougaard P, Ashcroft F, Molven A, Knip M, Mortensen HB, Hansen L, Njølstad PR; Hvidore Study Group on Diabetes in Childhood (2010) Disease progression and search for monogenic diabetes in children with new onset type 1 diabetes negative for ICA, GAD- and ICA-2 antibodies. BMC Endocr Disord 10:16
254. Hugill A, K. Shimomura K, Ashcroft FM, Cox RD (2010) A mutation in KCNJ11 causing human hyperinsulinism (Y12X) results in a glucose-intolerant phenotype in the mouse. Diabetologia 53, 2352-2356.
253. McTaggart JS, Clark RH, Ashcroft FM (2010) The role of the KATP channel in glucose homeostasis in health and disease: more than meets the islet. J Physiol 588, 3201-3209.
252. de Wet H, Fotinou C, Amad N, Dreger M, Ashcroft FM (2010) The ATPase activities of sulphonylurea receptor 2A and sulphonylurea receptor 2B are influenced by the C-terminal 42 amino acids. FEBS J 277, 2654-2662.
251. Aittoniemi J, de Wet H, Ashcroft FM, Sansom MSP (2010) Asymmetric switching in a homodimeric ABC transporter: a simulation study. PLoS Comput Biol 6: e1000762.
250. Ashcroft FM (2010) New uses for old drugs: neonatal diabetes and sulphonylureas. Cell Metab 11, 179-181.
249. Männikkö R, Jefferies C, Flanagan SE, Hattersley A, Ellard S, Ashcroft FM (2010) Interaction between mutations in slide helix of Kir6.2 associated with neonatal diabetes Hum Mol Genet 19, 963-972.
248. Shimomura K, de Nanclares GP, Fontinou C, Caimari M, Castaño L, Ashcroft FM (2010) The first clinical case of a mutation at residue K185Q of Kir6.2 (KCNJ11): a major ATP-binding residue. Diabet Med 27, 225-229.
247. Reed AAC, Loh NY, Terryn S, Lippiat JD, Partridge C, Galvanovskis J, Williams SE, Jouret F, Wu FT, Courtoy PJ, Nesbit MA, Rorsman P, Devuyst O, Ashcroft FM, Thakker RV (2010) CLC-5 and KIF3B interact to facilitate CLC-5 plasma membrane expression, endocytosis and microtubular transport: relevance to the pathophysiology of Dent's disease. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol, 298, F365-80.
246. Hoppa MB, Collins S, Ramracheya R, Hodson L, Amisten S, Zhang Q, Johnson P, Ashcroft FM, Rorsman P (2009) Chronic palmitate exposure inhibits insulin secretion by dissociation of Ca2+ channels from secretory vesicles. Cell Metab 10, 455-465
245. Stansfeld PJ, Hopkinson R, Ashcroft FM, Sansom MSP (2009) PIP2 binding site in Kir channels: definition by multi-scale biomolecular simulations. Biochemistry 48,10926-10933.
244. Shimomura K, Flanagan SE, Zadek B, Lethby M, Zubcevic L, Girard CA, Petz O, Manniko R, Kapoor RR, Hussain K, Skae M, Clayton P, Hattersley AT, Ellard S, Ashcroft FM (2009) Adjacent mutations in the gating loop of Kir6.2 produce neonatal diabetes and hyperinsulinism. EMBO Mol Med 1, 166-177.
243. Church C, Lee S, Bagg EA, McTaggart JS, Deacon R, Gerken T, Lee A, Moir L, Mecinovic J, Quwailid MM, Schofield CJ, Ashcroft FM, Cox RD (2009) A mouse model for the metabolic effects of the human fat mass and obesity associated FTO gene. PLoS Genet 5, e1000599.
242. Wu F, Reed AA, Williams SE, Loh NY, Lippiat JD, Christie PT, Large O, Bettinelli A, Dillon MJ, Goldraich NP, Hoppe B, Lhotta K, Loirat C, Malik R, Morel D, Kotanko P, Roussel B, Rubinger D, Schrander-Stumpel C, Serdaroglu E, Nesbit MA, Ashcroft F, Thakker RV (2009) Mutational Analysis of CLC-5, Cofilin and CLC-4 in Patients with Dent's Disease. Nephron Physiol 112: 53-62
241. Shimomura K, Galvanovskis J, Goldsworthy M, Hugill A, Kaizak S, Lee A, Meadows N, Quwailid MM, Rydström J, Teboul L, Ashcroft F, Cox RD (2009) Insulin secretion from beta-cells is affected by deletion of nicotinamide nucleotide transhydrogenase. Methods Enzymol. 2009;457:451-80.
240. Craig TJ, Shimomura K, Holl RW, Flanagan SE, Ellard S, Ashcroft FM (2009) An in-frame deletion in Kir6.2 (KCNJ11) causing neonatal diabetes reveals a site of interaction between Kir6.2 and SUR1. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94, 2551-2557.
239. Girard CA, Wunderlich FT, Shimomura K, Collins S, Kaizik S, Proks P, Abdulkader F, Clark A, Ball V, Zubcevic L, Bentley L, Clark R, Church C, Hugill A, Galvanovskis J, Cox R, Rorsman P, Brüning JC, Ashcroft FM (2009) Expression of an activating mutation in the gene encoding the KATP channel subunit Kir6.2 in mouse beta-cells recapitulates neonatal diabetes. J Clin Invest 119, 80-90.
238. Tammaro P, Ashcroft FM. (2009) A cytosolic factor that inhibits KATP channels expressed in Xenopus oocytes by impairing Mg-nucleotide activation by SUR1. J Physiol 587, 1649-1656.
237. Proks P, Ashcroft F (2009) Modelling KATP channel gating and its regulation. Prog Biophys Mol Biol 99, 7-19.
236. Aittoniemi J, Fotinou C, Craig TJ, de Wet H, Proks P, Ashcroft FM (2009) SUR1: a unique ABC protein that functions as an ion channel regulator. Philos Trans Roy Soc Lond B 364, 257-267.
235. Ashcroft F, Gadsby D, Miller CM (2009) The blurred boundary between channels and transporters. Philos Trans Roy Soc Lond B 364, 145-147.
234. Zehetner J, Danzer C, Collins S, Eckhardt K, Gerber PA, Ballschmeiter P, Galvanoskis J, Shimomura K, Ashcroft FM, Thorens B, Rorsman P, Krek W (2008) pVHL is a regulator of glucose metabolism and insulin secretion in pancreatic beta-cells. Genes Dev 22, 3135-3146.
233. Stanik J, Lethby M, Flanagan SE, Gašperíková D, Milošovičová M, Lever M, Bullman H, Zubcevic L, Hattersley AT, Ellard S, Ashcroft F, Klimeš I (2008) Coincidence of a novel KCNJ11 missense variant R365H with a paternally inherited 6q24 duplication in a patient with transient neonatal diabetes. Diabetes Care 31, 1736-1737.
232. Craig TJ, Ashcroft FM, Proks P (2008) How ATP inhibits the open KATP channel J gen Physiol 132, 131-144.
231. Goldsworthy M, Hugill A, Freeman H, Horner E, Shimomura K, Bogani D, Pieles G, Mijat V, Arkell R, Bhattacharya S, Ashcroft FM and Cox RD (2008) The role of the transcription factor Sox4 in insulin secretion and impaired glucose tolerance. Diabetes 57, 2234-2244.
230. de Wet H, Proks P, Lafond M, Aittoniemi J, Sansom MSP, Flanagan SE, Pearson EW, Hattersley AT, Ashcroft FM (2008) A mutation (R826W) in nucleotide-binding domain 1 of ABCC8 reduces ATPase activity and causes transient neonatal diabetes. EMBO Rep 9, 648-654.
229. D'Amato E, Tammaro P, Craig TJ, Tosi A, Giorgetti R, Lorini R, Ashcroft FM (2008) Variable phenotypic spectrum of diabetes mellitus in a family carrying a novel KCNJ11 gene mutation. Diabet Med 25, 651-656.
228. Tammaro P, Flanagan SE, Zadek B, Srinivasan S, Woodhead H, Hameed S, Klimes I, Hattersley AT, Ellard S, Ashcroft F (2008) A Kir6.2 mutation causing severe functional effects in vitro produces neonatal diabetes without the expected neurological complications. Diabetologia 51, 802-810.
227. Shield JPH, Flanagan SE, Mackay D, Proks P, Girard C, Ashcroft FM, Temple IK, Ellard S (2008) Mosaic paternal uniparental isodisomy and an ABCC8 gene mutation in a patient with permanent neonatal diabetes and hemihypertrophy. Diabetes 57, 255-258.
226. Tricarico D, Mele A, Liss B, Ashcroft FM, Lundquist AL, Desai RR, George AL Jr, Conte Camerino D (2008) Reduced expression of Kir6.2/SUR2A explains KATP deficiency in K+-depleted rats. Neuromuscul Disord 8, 74-80.
225. Gerken T, Girard CA, Tung YC, Webby CJ, Saudek V, Hewitson KS, Yeo GS, McDonough MA, Cunliffe S, McNeill LA, Galvanovskis J, Rorsman P, Robins P, Prieur X, Coll AP, Ma M, Jovanovic Z, I. Farooqi IS, Sedgwick B, Barroso I, Lindahl T, Ponting CP*, Ashcroft FM*, O’Rahilly S*, Schofield CJ* (2007) The obesity-associated FTO gene encodes a 2-oxoglutarate-dependent nucleic acid demethylase. Science 318, 1469-1472. *joint senior authors
224. de Wet H, Rees MG, Shimomura K, Aittoniemi J, Patch AM, Flanagan SE, Ellard S, Hattersley AT, Sansom MSP, Ashcroft FM (2007) Increased ATPase activity produced by mutations at arginine-1380 in nucleotide-binding domain 2 of ABCC8 causes neonatal diabetes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104, 18988-18992.
223. Jaroslawski S, Zadek B, F, Venien-Bryan C, Scheuring (2007). Direct visualization of KirBac3.1 potassium channel gating by atomic force microscopy. J Mol Biol 374, 500-505.
222. Tammaro P, Ashcroft FM (2007) A mutation in the ATP-binding site of the Kir6.2 subunit of the KATP channel alters coupling to with the SUR2A subunit. J Physiol 584, 743-753.
221. Mlynarski W, Tarasov T, Gach A, Girard CA, Pietrzak I, Zubcevic L, Kusmierek J, Klupa T, Malecki M, Ashcroft FM (2007) Sulfonyurea improves CNS function in a case of intermediate DEND syndrome caused by a mutation KCNJ11. Nat Clin Prac Neurol 3, 640-645.
220. Haider S, Tarasov AI, Craig TJ, Sansom MSP, Ashcroft FM (2007) Identification of the PIP2-binding site on Kir6.2 by molecular modelling and functional analysis. EMBO J 26, 3749-3759
219. Proks P, Shimomura K, Craig TJ, Girard C, Ashcroft FM (2007) Mechanism of action of a sulphonylurea receptor SUR1 mutation (F132L) that causes DEND syndrome. Hum Mol Genet 16, 2011-2019.
218. Ashcroft FM (2007) The Walter B. Cannon Physiology in Perspective Lecture, 2007. ATP-sensitive K+ channels and disease: from molecule to malady. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 293, E880-889.
217. Könner C, Janoschek R, Plum L, Jordan SD, Rother E, Ma X, Xu C, Enriori P, Hampel B, Barsh GS, Kahn CR, Cowley MA, Ashcroft FM, Brüning JC (2007). Insulin action in AgRP-expressing neurons is required for suppression of hepatic glucose production. Cell Metab 5, 438-449.
216. de Wet H, Mikhailov MV, Fotinou C, Dreger M, Craig TJ, Vénien-Bryan C, Ashcroft FM (2007) Studies of the ATPase activity of the ABC protein SUR1. FEBS J 274, 3532-3544.
215. Shimomura K, Hörster F, de Wet H, Flanagan SE, Ellard S, Hattersley AT, Wolf NI, Ashcroft F, Ebinger F (2007) A novel mutation causing DEND syndrome – a treatable channelopathy of pancreas and brain. Neurology 69, 1342-1349
214. Ellard E, Flanagan SE, Girard CA, Patch AM, Harries LW, Parrish A, Edghill EL, Mackay DJ, Proks P, Shimomura K, Haberland H, Carson DJ, Shield JPH, Hattersley AT, Ashcroft FM (2007) Permanent neonatal diabetes caused by dominant, recessive or compound heterozygous SUR1 mutations with opposite functional effects. Am J Hum Genet 81, 375-382.
213. Tarasov AI, Girard CA, Larkin B, Tammaro P, Flanagan SE, Ellard S, Ashcroft FM (2007) Functional analysis of two Kir6.2 (KCNJ11) mutations, K170T and E322K, causing neonatal diabetes. Diabetes, Obes Metab 9(s2), 46-55.
212. Olofsson CS, Collins S, Bengtsson M, Eliasson L, Salehi A, Shimomura K, Tarasov A, Holm C, Ashcroft F, Rorsman P (2007) Long-term exposure to lipids inhibits glucose-induced insulin secretion downstream of granule fusion with plasma membrane. Diabetes 56, 1888-1897.
211. Tammaro P, Ashcroft FM (2007) The Kir6.2-F333I mutation differentially modulates KATP channels containing SUR1 or SUR2 subunits. J Physiol 581.3, 1259-1269.
210. Medina-Gomez G, Gray SL, Yetukuri L, Shimomura K, Virtue S, Campbell M, Curtis RK, Jimenez-Linan M, Blount M, Yeo GS, Lopez M, Seppänen-Laakso T, Ashcroft FM, Oresic M, Vidal-Puig A (2007). PPAR2 prevents lipotoxicity by controlling adipose tissue expandability and peripheral lipid metabolism. PLoS Genet 3, e64.
209. Zhang Q, Bengtsson M, Partridge C, Salehi A, Braun M, Cox R, Eliasson L, Johnson PRV, Renström E, Schneider T, Berggren PO, Göpel S, Ashcroft FM, Rorsman P (2007). R-type Ca2+-channel-evoked CICR regulates glucose-induced somatostatin secretion. Nat Cell Biol 9, 453-640.
208. Haider S, Khalid S, Tucker SJ, Ashcroft FM, Sansom MSP (2007) Molecular dynamics simulations of the inwardly rectifying (Kir) potassium channels: a comparative study. Biochemistry 46, 3643-3652
207. Ma X, Zubcevic L, Brüning JC, Ashcroft FM, Burdakov D (2007) Electrical inhibition of identified anorexigenic POMC neurons by orexin/hypocretin. J Neurosci 27, 1529-1533.
206. Tammaro P, Ashcroft FM (2006) Keeping the heart going: a new role for KATP channels. J Physiol 577, 767.
205. Heusser K, Yuan H, Neagoe I, Tarasov A, Ashcroft FM, Schwappach B (2006). Scavenging of 14-3-3 Proteins reveals their involvement in the cell-surface transport of ATP-sensitive K+ channels J Cell Sci 119, 4353-4363.
204. Freeman H, Shimomura K, Cox RD, Ashcroft FM (2006) Nicotinamide nucleotide transhydrogenase: a link between insulin secretion, glucose metabolism and oxidative stress Biochem Soc Trans 34, 806-810.
203. Tarasov A, Welters HJ, Senkel S, Ryffel GU, Hattersley AT, Morgan NG, Ashcroft FM (2006) A Kir6.2 mutation causing neonatal diabetes impairs electrical activity and insulin secretion from INS-1 beta-cells. Diabetes 55, 3075-3082.
202. Pearson ER, Flechtner I, Njølståd PR, Malecki MT, Flanagan SE, Larkin B, Ashcroft FM, Klimes I, Codner E, Iotova V, Slingerland AS, Shield J, Robert JJ, Holst JJ, Clark PM, Ellard S, Søvik O, Polak M, Hattersley AT; Neonatal Diabetes International Collaborative Group (2006) Switching from insulin to oral sulfonylureas in patients with diabetes due to Kir6.2 mutations. New Engl J Med 355, 467-477.
201. Tarasov AI, Girard CA, Ashcroft FM (2006) ATP sensitivity of the ATP-sensitive K+ channel in intact and permeabilized eta-cells. Diabetes 55, 2446-2454.
200. Plum L, Ma X, Hampel B, Balthasar N, Coppari R, Münzberg H, Shanabrough M, Burdakov D, Janoschek R, Alber J, Belgardt BF, Koch L, Seibler J, Schwenk F, Fekete C, Suzuki A, Mak TW, Krone W, Horvath TL, Ashcroft FM, Brüning JC (2006) Enhanced PIP3 signalling in POMC neurones causes KATP channel activation and leads to diet-sensitive obesity. J Clin Invest 116, 1886-1901.
199. Girard CAJ, Shimomura K, Proks P, Absalom N, Castano L, Pérez de Nanclares G, Ashcroft FM (2006) Functional analysis of six Kir6.2 (KCNJ11) mutations causing neonatal diabetes. Plugers Arch 453, 323-332.
198. Freeman H, Hugill A, Dear NT, Ashcroft FM, Cox RD (2006) Deletion of nicotinamide nucleotide transhydrogenase: a new quantitative trait locus accounting for glucose intolerance in C57BL/6J mice. Diabetes 55, 2153-2156.
197. Proks P, Arnold A, Bruining J, Girard C, Flanagan SE, Larkin B, Colclough K, Hattersley AT, Ashcroft FM, Ellard S (2006) A heterozygous activating mutation in the sulphonylurea receptor SUR1 (ABCC8) causes neonatal diabetes. Hum Mol Genet 15, 1793-1800.
196. Proks P, Girard G, Bævre H, Njølstad PR, Ashcroft FM (2006) Functional effects of mutations at F35 in the N-terminus of Kir6.2 (KCNJ11), causing neonatal diabetes, and response to sulfonyurea therapy Diabetes 55, 1731-1737.
195. Shimomura K, Girard CA, Proks P, Nazim J, Lippiat JD, Cerutti F, Lorini R, Ellard S, Hattersely A, Barbetti F, Ashcroft FM (2006) Mutations at the same residue (R50) of Kir6.2 (KCNJ11) that cause neonatal diabetes produce different functional effects. Diabetes 55, 1705-1712.
194. Ashcroft FM (2006) From molecule to malady. Nature 440, 440-447.
193. Deacon RMJ, Brook RC, Meyer D, Haeckel O, Ashcroft FM, Miki T, Seino S, Liss B (2006) Behavioral phenotyping of mice lacking the KATP channel subunit Kir6.2. Physiol Behav 87, 723-733.
192. Ashcroft FM (2006) KATP channels and insulin secretion: a key role in health and disease. Biochem Soc Trans 34, 243-246.
191. Freeman H, Shimomura K, Horner E, Cox RD, Ashcroft FM (2006) Nicotinamide nucleotide transhydrogenase: a key role in insulin secretion. Cell Metab 3, 35-45.
190. Tammaro P, Proks P, Ashcroft FM (2006) Functional effects of naturally occurring KNCJ11 mutations causing neonatal diabetes on cloned cardiac KATP channels. J Physiol 571, 3-14.
189. Mikhailov MV, Campbell JD, de Wet H, Shimomura K, Zadek B, Collins RF, Sansom MSP, Ford RC, Ashcroft FM (2005) 3-D structural and functional characterization of the purified KATP channel complex Kir6.2-SUR1. EMBO J 24, 4166-4175.
188. Proks P, Girard C, Ashcroft FM (2005) Functional effects of KCNJ11 mutations causing neonatal diabetes: enhanced activation by MgATP. Hum Mol Genet 14, 2717-2726.
187. Hattersley AT, Ashcroft FM (2005) Activating mutations in Kir6.2 and neonatal diabetes: New clinical syndromes, new scientific insights and new therapy. Diabetes 54, 2503-2513.
186. Tammaro P, Girard C, Molnes J, Njølstad PR, Ashcroft FM (2005) Kir6.2 mutations causing neonatal diabetes provide new insights into Kir6.2-SUR1 interactions. EMBO J 24, 2318-2330.
185. Proks P, Girard C, Haider S, Gloyn AL, Hattersley AT, Sansom MSP, Ashcroft FM (2005) A gating mutation at the internal mouth of the Kir6.2 pore is associated with DEND syndrome. EMBO Rep 6, 470-475.
184. Haider S, Grottesi A, Ashcroft FM, Sansom MSP (2005) Conformational dynamics of the ligand-binding domain of inward rectifier K channels as revealed by molecular dynamics simulations: towards an understanding of Kir channel gating. Biophys J 88, :3310-3320.
183. Gloyn AL, Reimann F, Girard C, Edghill EL, Proks P, Pearson ER, Temple IK, Mackay DJ, Shield JP, Freedenberg D, Noyes K, Ellard S, Ashcroft FM, Gribble FM, Hattersley AT (2005) Relapsing diabetes can result from moderately activating mutations in KCNJ11. Hum Mol Genet 14, 925-934.
182. Ashcroft FM (2005) ATP-sensitive Potassium Channelopathies: focus on insulin secretion. J Clin Invest 115, 2047-2058.
181. Haider S, Antcliff JF, Proks P, Sansom MSP, Ashcroft FM (2005) Focus on Kir6.2: a key component of the ATP-sensitive potassium channel. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 38, 927-936.
180. Toye AE, Lippiat JD, Proks P, Shimomura K, Bentley L, Hugill A, Mijat V, Goldsworth M, Moir L, Haynes A, Quarterman J, Freeman HC, Ashcroft FM, Cox RD (2005) A Genetic and Physiological Study of Impaired Glucose Homeostasis Control in C57BL/6J mice. Diabetologia 48, 675-686.
179. Antcliff JF, Haider S, Proks P, Sansom MSP, Ashcroft FM (2005) Functional analysis of a structural model of the ATP-binding site of the KATP channel Kir6.2 subunit. EMBO J 24, 229-239.
178. Hansen AMK, Hansen JB, Carr RD, Ashcroft FM, Wahl P (2005) Kir6.2-dependent high affinity repaglinide binding to beta-cell KATP Channels. Br J Pharmacol 144, 551-557.
177. Proks P, Antcliff JF, Lippiat J, Gloyn A, Hattersley A, Ashcroft FM (2004) Molecular basis of Kir6.2 mutations associated with neonatal diabetes or neonatal diabetes plus neurological features. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101, 17539-17544.
176. Burdakov D, Alexopoulos H, Vincent A, Ashcroft FM (2004). Low-voltage-activated A-current controls the firing dynamics of mouse hypothalamic orexin neurons. Eur J Neurosci 20, 3281-3285.
175. Yang SB , Proks P, Ashcroft FM, Rupnik M (2004) Inhibition of ATP-sensitive potassium channels by haloperidol. Br J Pharmacol 143, 960-967.
174. Campbell JD, Deol SS, Ashcroft FM, Kerr ID, Sansom MSP (2004) Nucleotide-dependent conformational changes in HisP: molecular dynamics simulations of an ABC transporter nucleotide-binding domain. Biophys J 87, 3703-3715.
173. Campbell JD, Proks P, Lippiat JD, Sansom MSP, Ashcroft FM (2004) Identification of a functionally important negatively charged residue within the second catalytic site of the SUR1 nucleotide-binding domains. Diabetes 53, S123-S127.
172. Tarasov A, Dusonchet J, Ashcroft F (2004) Metabolic regulation of the pancreatic B-cell KATP channel: a Pas de Deux. Diabetes 53, S123-S127
171. Ashcroft FM, Rorsman P (2004) Molecular defects in insulin secretion in type-2 diabetes. Rev Endocr Metab Disord 5, 135-142.
170. Dabrowski M, Tarasov A, Ashcroft FM (2004) Mapping the architecture of the ATP-binding site of the KATP channel subunit Kir6.2. J Physiol 557, 347-354.
169. The Nature Reviews Drug Discovery Ion Channel Participants (2004) The state of ion channel research in 2004. Nature Rev Drug Discovery 3, 239-278
168. Gloyn AL, Pearson ER, Antcliff JF, Proks P, Bruining GJ, Slingerland AS, Howard N, Srinivasan S, Silva JM, Molnes J, Edghill EL, Frayling TM, Temple IK, Mackay D, Shield JP, Sumnik Z, van Rhijn A, Wales JK, Clark P, Gorman S, Aisenberg J, Ellard S, Njølstad PR, Ashcroft FM, Hattersley A (2004). Activating mutations in the gene encoding the ATP-sensitive potassium-channel subunit Kir6.2 and permanent neonatal diabetes. New Engl J Med 350, 1838-1849.
167. Ashcroft F, Rorsman P (2004) Type-2 diabetes mellitus: not quite exciting enough? Hum Mol Genet 13, R21-31.
166. Tsuboi T, Lippiat JD, Ashcroft FM, Rutter GA (2004) ATP-dependent interaction of the cytosolic domains of the inwardly rectifying K+ channel Kir6.2 revealed by fluorescence resonance energy transfer. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101, 76-81.
165. Park EJ, Bae JH, Kim SY, Lim JG, Baek WK, Kwon TK, Suh SI, Park JW, Lee IK, Ashcroft FM, Song DK. (2004) Inhibition of ATP-sensitive K+ channels by taurine through a benzamido-binding site on sulfonylurea receptor 1. Biochem Pharmacol 6, 1089-1096.
164. Campbell JD, Sansom MSP, Ashcroft FM (2003) Potassium channel regulation. structural insights into the function of the nucleotide-binding domains of the human sulphonylurea receptor. EMBO Rep 4, 1-5.
163. Dabrowski M, Larsen T, Ashcroft FM, Bondo Hansen J, Wahl P (2003) Potent and selective activation of the pancreatic -cell type KATP channel by two novel diazoxide analaogues. Diabetologia 46, 1375-1382.
162. Kuo A, Gulbis JM, Antcliff JF, Rahman T, Lowe ED, Zimmer J, Cuthbertson J, Ashcroft FM, Ezaki T, Doyle DA (2003) Crystal structure of the potassium channel KirBac1.1 in the closed state. Science 300, 1922-1926.
161. Trapp S, Haider S, Jones P, Sansom MSP, Ashcroft FM (2003) Identification of residues contributing to the ATP-binding site of Kir6.2. EMBO J 22, 2903-2912.
160. Dabrowski M, Trapp S, Ashcroft FM (2003) Pyridine nucleotide regulation of the KATP channel Kir6.2/SUR1 expressed in Xenopus oocytes. J Physiol 550, 357-363.
159. Burdakov D, Liss B, Ashcroft FM (2003) Orexin excites GABAergic neurons of the arcuate nucleus by activating the sodium-calcium exchanger. J Neurosci 23, 4951-4957.
158. Reimann F, Dabrowski M, Jones P, Gribble FM, Ashcroft FM (2003) Analysis of the differential modulation of sulphonylurea block of beta-cell and cardiac KATP channels by Mg-nucleotides. J Physiol 547, 159-168
157. Huopio H, Otonkoski T, Vauhkonen I, Reimann F, Ashcroft FM Laakso M (2003) A new subtype of autosomal dominant diabetes attributable to a mutation in the gene for sulfonylurea receptor 1 gene. Lancet 361, 301-307
156. Proks P, Antcliff J, Ashcroft FM (2003) The ligand-sensitive gate of a potassium channel lies close to the selectivity filter. EMBO Rep 4, 70-75.
155. Reimann F, Huopio H, Dabrowski M, Proks P, Gribble FM, Laakso M, Otonkoski T, Ashcroft FM (2003) Characterization of new KATP-channel mutations associated with congenital hyperinsulinism in the Finnish population. Diabetologia 46, 241-249.
154. Capener C, Proks P, Ashcroft FM, Sansom MSP (2003) Filter flexibility in a mammalian K channel: models and simulations of Kir6.2 mutants. Biophys J 84, 2345-2356.
153. Matsuo M, Dabrowski M, Ashcroft FM (2002) Mutations in the linker domain of NBD2 of SUR inhibit transduction but not nucleotide binding. EMBO J 21, 4250-4258
152. Lippiat JD, Albinson SL, Ashcroft FM (2002) Interaction of the cytosolic domains of the Kir6.2 subunit of the KATP channel is modulated by sulfonylureas. Diabetes 51, S377-380.
151. Proks P, Reimann FR, Green N, Ashcroft F (2002) Nucleotide modulation of gliclazide block of cloned B-cell ATP-sensitive potassium channels. Diabetes 51 S368-376.
150. Burdakov, D, Ashcroft FM (2002) Shedding new light on brain metabolism and glial function. J Physiol 544, 334.
149. Hansen AMK, Christensen IT, Hansen JB, Carr RD, Ashcroft FM, Wahl P (2002) Differential interactions of nateglinide and repaglinide on the human beta-cell sulphonylurea receptor 1. Diabetes 51, 2789-2795
148. Gros L, Trapp S, Dabrowski M, Ashcroft FM, Bataille B, Blacheh P (2002) Functional characterization of two novel forms of the rat sulphonylurea receptor SUR1A2 and SUR1Bdelta31. Br J Pharmacol 137, 98–106.
147. Burdakov D, Ashcroft FM (2002) Cholecystokinin tunes firing of an electrically distinct subset of arcuate nucleus neurons by activating A-type potassium channels. J Neurosci 22, 6380-6387
146. Dabrowski M, Ashcroft FM, Ashfield R, Lebrun P, Pirotte B, Egebjerg J, Bondo Hansen J, Wahl P (2002) The novel diazoxide analogue, 3-isopropylamino-7-methoxy-4H-1,2,4-benzothiadiazine 1,1-dioxide, is a selective SUR1/Kir6.2 channel opener. Diabetes 51, 1896-1906
145. Jones PA, Tucker S, Ashcroft FM (2001) Multiple sites of interaction between the intracellular domains of an inwardly-rectifying potassium channel, Kir6.2. FEBS Lett 508, 85-89
144. Proks P, Capener CE, Jones P, Ashcroft FM (2001). Mutations within the P-loop of Kir6.2 modulate the intraburst kinetics of the ATP-sensitive potassium channel. J Gen Physiol 118, 341-353
143. Reimann F, Ashcroft FM, Gribble FM (2001) Structural basis for the interference between nicorandil and sulphonylurea action. Diabetes 50, 2253-2259
142. Loussouarn G, Pike LJ, Ashcroft FM, Makhina EN, Nichols CG (2001) Dynamic sensitivity of KATP channels to ATP. J Biol Chem 276, 29098-29103
141. Lawrence CL, Proks P, Rodrigo GC, Jones P, Hayabuchi Y, Standen NB, Ashcroft FM (2001), Gliclazide produces high-affinity block of KATP channels in mouse isolated pancreatic -cells but not rat heart or arterial smooth muscle cells. Diabetologia 44, 1019-1025.
140. Miki T, Liss B, Minami Y, Shiuchi T, Saraya A, Kashima Y, Horiuchi M, Ashcroft F, Minokoshi Y, Kashima Y, Roeper J, Seino S (2001) ATP-sensitive K+ channels in the hypothalamus are essential for maintenance of glucose homeostasis. Nat Neurosci 4, 507-512.
139. Song DK, Ashcroft FM (2001) Glimepiride block of cloned beta-cell, cardiac and smooth muscle KATP channels. Br J Pharmacol 133, 193-199.
138. Dabrowski, M, Wahl P, Holmes WE, Ashcroft FM (2001) Effect of repaglinide on cloned beta cell, cardiac and smooth muscle types of ATP-sensitve potassium channels. Diabetologia 44, 747-756.
137. Song DK, Ashcroft FM (2001) ATP-modulation of ATP-sensitive potassium channel ATP sensitivity varies with the type of SUR subunit. J Biol Chem 276, 7143-7149
136. Reimann F, Proks P, Ashcroft FM (2001). Effects of mitiglinide (S 21403) on Kir6.2/SUR1, Kir6.2/SUR2A and Kir6.2/SUR2B types of ATP-sensitive potassium channel. Br J Pharmacol 132, 1542-1548.
135. Proks P, Jones P, Ashcroft FM (2001). Interaction of stilbene disulphonates with cloned KATP channels. Br J Pharmacol 132, 973-982.
134. Matsuo M, Trapp S, Tanizawa Y, Kioka N, Amachi T, Oka Y, Ashcroft FM, Ueda K (2000) Functional analysis of a mutant sulfonylurea receptor, SUR1-R1420C, that is responsible for persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of infancy. J Biol Chem 275, 41184-41191.
133. Reimann F, Gribble FM, Ashcroft FM (2000). Differential response of KATP channels containing SUR2A or SUR2B subunits to nucleotides and pinacidil. Mol Pharmacol 58, 1318-1325.
132. Huopio H, Reimann F, Ashfield R, Komulainen J, Lenko HL, Rahier J, Vauhkonen I, Laakso M, Ashcroft FM, Otonkoski T (2000) Dominantly inherited hyperinsulinism caused by a mutation in the sulfonylurea receptortype 1. J Clin Invest 106, 897-906.
131. Trapp S, Ashcroft FM. Direction interaction of Na-azide with the KATP channel (2000) Br J Pharmacol 131, 1105-1112.
130. Gribble F, Ashcroft FM (2000). New windows on the mechanism of action of KATP channel openers. Trends Pharmacol Sci 21, 439-445.
129. Gribble FM, Loussouarn G, Tucker SJ, Zhao C, Nichols CG, Ashcroft FM (2000) A novel method for measurement of submembrane ATP concentration. J Biol Chem 275, 30046-30049.
128. Ashcroft FM (2000) The Yin and Yang of the KATP channel. J Physiol 528, 405.
127. Gribble FM, Davis TME, Higham C, Clark A, Ashcroft FM (2000) The antimalarial agent mefloquine inhibits ATP-sensitive K-channels. Br J Pharmacol 131, 756-760.
126. Gribble FM, Reimann F, Ashfield R, Ashcroft FM (2000). Nucleotide modulation of pinacidil stimulation of the cloned KATP channel Kir6.2/SUR2A. Mol Pharmacol 57, 1256-1261.
125. Tanabe K, Tucker SJ, Ashcroft FM, Proks P, Kioka N, Amachi T, Ueda K (2000) Direct photoaffinity labeling of Kir6.2 by [gamma-32P]ATP-[gamma]4-azidoanilide. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 272, 316-319.
124. Gribble FM, Ashcroft FM (2000). Sulfonylurea sensitivity and adenosine tri-phosphate-sensitive potassium channels from beta-cells and extrapancreatic tissues. Metabolism 49, 3-6
123. Ashcroft FM, Gribble FM (2000) Tissue specific effects of sulphonylureas: lessons from studies of cloned KATP channels. J Diabetes Complications 14, 192-6.
122. Smith PA, Proks P, Ashcroft FM (1999) Quantal analysis of 5-hydroxytryptamine release from mouse pancreatic beta-cells. J Physiol 521, 651-665.
121. Tucker SJ, Ashcroft FM (1999) Mapping of the physical interaction between the intracellular domains of an inwardly rectifying potassium channel, Kir6.2. J Biol Chem 274, 33393-33397.
120. Matsuo M, Tucker SJ, Ashcroft FM, Amachi T, Ueda K (1999) NEM modification prevents high-affinity ATP binding to the first nucleotide binding fold of the sulphonylurea receptor, SUR1. FEBS Lett 458, 292-294.
119. Ashcroft FM, Reimann F (1999) New insights into the molecular mechanism of action of sulfonylureas on KATP channels. Mediocographica 21, 313-318.
118. Sakura H, Trapp S, Liss B, Ashcroft FM (1999) Altered functional properties of the KATP channel conferred by a novel splice variant of SUR1. J Physiol 521, 337-350.
117. Reimann F, Ryder TJ, Tucker SJ, Ashcroft FM (1999) The role of lysine 185 in Kir6.2 subunit of the ATP-sensitive K+ channel in inhibition by ATP. J Physiol 520, 661-669.
116. Proks P, Ashfield R, Ashcroft FM (1999) Interaction of vanadate with the cloned beta-cell KATP channel. J Biol Chem 274, 25393-25397.
115. Reimann F, Ashcroft FM (1999) Inwardly rectifying potassium channels. Curr Opin Cell Biol 11, 503-508.
114 Ashcroft FM, Gribble FM (1999) ATP-sensitive K+ channels in insulin secretion: their role in health and disease. Diabetologia 42, 903-919.
113. Gribble FM, Ashcroft FM (1999) Differential sensitivity of beta-cell and extrapancreatic KATP channels to gliclazide. Diabetologia 42, 845-848.
112. Ashfield R, Gribble FM, Ashcroft SJH, Ashcroft FM (1999). Identification of the high-affinity tolbutamide site on the SUR1 subunit of the KATP channel. Diabetes 48, 1341-1347.
111. Reimann F, Tucker SJ, Proks P, Ashcroft FM (1999). Involvement of the N-terminus of Kir6.2 in coupling to the sulphonylurea receptor. J Physiol 518, 325-336.
110. Le Brigand L, Virsolvy A, Manechez D, Godfroid JJ, Guardiola-Lemaitre B, Gribble FM, Ashcroft FM, Bataille D (1999) In vitro mechanism of action on insulin release of S-22068, a new putative anti-diabetic compound. Br J Pharmacol 128, 1021-1026.
109. Dalle S, Smith P, Blache P, Le-Nguyen D, Le Brigand L, Bergeron F, Ashcroft FM, Dominique Bataille (1999) Miniglucagon (glucagon 19-29), a potent and efficient inhibitor of secretagogue-induced insulin release through a Ca2+ pathway. J Biol Chem 274, 10869-10876.
108. Tanabe K, Tucker SJ, Matsuo M, Proks P, Ashcroft FM, Seino S, Amachi T, Ueda K (1999) Direct photoaffinity labelling of the Kir6.2 subunit of the ATP-sensitive K+ channel by 8-Azido-ATP. J Biol Chem 274, 3931-3933.
107. Otonkoski T, Ämmälä, C, Huopio H, Cote GJ, Chapman J, Cosgrove K, Ashfield R, Huang E, Komulainen J, Ashcroft FM, Dunne MJ, Kere J, Thomas PM (1998) A point mutation inactivating the sulfonylurea receptor causes the severe form of persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of infancy in Finland. Diabetes 48, 408-415.
106. Proks P, Gribble FM, Adhikari R, Tucker SJ, Ashcroft FM (1998) Involvement of the N-terminus of Kir6.2 in the inhibition of the KATP channel by ATP. J Physiol 514.1, 19-25.
105. Gribble FM, Proks P, Corkey BE, Ashcroft FM (1998) Mechanism of cloned KATP channel activation by oleoyl-CoA. J Biol Chem 273, 26383-26387.
104. Trapp S, Proks P, Tucker SJ, Ashcroft FM (1998) Molecular analysis of ATP-sensitive K+ channel gating and implications for channel inhibition by ATP. J Gen Physiol 112, 333-349.
103. Trapp S, Tucker SJ, Ashcroft FM (1998) Mechanism of ATP-sensitive K+ channel inhibition by sulfhydryl modification. J Gen Physiol 112, 325-332.
102. Ashcroft FM (1998) Exciting times for PIP2. Science 282, 1059-1060
101. Mikhailov MV, Proks P, Ashcroft FM, Ashcroft SJH (1998) Expression of functionally active ATP-sensitive K-channels in insect cells using baculovirus. FEBS Lett 429, 390-394.
100. Gribble FM, Tucker SJ, Seino S, Ashcroft FM (1998) Tissue specificity of sulphonylureas: studies on cloned cardiac and -cell KATP channels. Diabetes 47, 1412-1418.
99. Gribble FM, Tucker SJ, Haug T, Ashcroft FM (1998) MgATP activates the -cell KATP channel by interaction with its SUR1 subunit. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95, 7185-7190.
98. Heron L, Virsolvy A, Peyrolloer K, Gribble FM, Le Cam A, Ashcroft FM, Bataille D (1998) Human alpha-endosulfine, a possible regulator of the sulphonylurea-sensitive KATP channel: molecular cloning, expression and biological properties. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95, 8387-8391.
97. Tucker SJ, Gribble FM, Proks P, Trapp S, Ryder TJ, Haug T, Reimann F, Ashcroft FM (1998) Molecular determinants of KATP channel inhibition by ATP. EMBO J 17, 3290-3296.
96. Tucker SJ, Ashcroft FM (1998) A touching case of channel regulation: the ATP-sensitive K+ channel. Curr Opin Neurobiol 8, 316-320.
95. Ashcroft FM, Gribble FM (1998) Correlating structure and function in ATP-sensitive K+ channels. Trends Neurosci 21, 288-294.
94. Hughes SJ, Faehling M, Thorneley CW, Proks P, Ashcroft FM, Smith PA (1998) Electrophysiological and metabolic characterization of single beta-cells and islets from diabetic GK rats. Diabetes 47, 73-81.
93. Sakura H, Ashcroft SJH, Terauchi Y, Kadowaki T, Ashcroft FM (1998) Glucose modulation of ATP-sensitive K-currents in wild-type, homozygous and heterozygous glucokinase knock-out mice. Diabetologia 41, 654-659.
92. Ashcroft FM (1998) Recent advances in our understanding of sulphonylurea receptors and ATP-sensitive K-channels in pancreatic ß-cells. Diabetes Annual 11, 1-17.
91. Proks P, Ashcroft FM (1997) Phentolamine block of KATP channels is mediated by Kir6.2. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94, 11716-11720
90. Gribble FM, Tucker SJ, Ashcroft FM (1997) The interaction of nucleotides with the tolbutamide block of cloned ATP-sensitive K+ channel currents expressed in Xenopus oocytes: a reinterpretation. J Physiol 504.1, 35-45.
89. Trapp S, Ashcroft FM (1997) A metabolic sensor in action: News from the ATP sensitive K+ channel. News in Physiol Sci 12, 255-263.
88. Trapp S, Tucker SJ, Ashcroft FM (1997) Activation and inhibition of KATP currents by guanine nucleotides is mediated by different channel subunits. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94, 8872-8877.
87. Tucker SJ, Gribble FM, Zhao C, Trapp S, Ashcroft FM (1997) Truncation of Kir6.2 produces ATP-sensitive K+ channels in the absence of the sulphonylurea receptor. Nature 387, 179-183.
86. Sakura H, Ashcroft FM (1997) Identification of four murine trp1 gene variants in ß-cells. Diabetologia 40, 528-533.
85. Gribble FM, Tucker, SJ, Ashcroft FM (1997) The essential role of the Walker A motifs of SUR1 in KATP channel activation by MgADP and diazoxide. EMBO J 16, 1145-1152.
84. Smith PA, Sakura H, Coles B, Gummerson N, Proks P, Ashcroft FM (1997) Electrogenic arginine transport mediates stimulus-secretion coupling in mouse pancreatic ß-cells. J Physiol 499.3, 625-635.
83. Cheffings CM, Pantoja O, Ashcroft FM, Smith JAC (1997) Malate transport and vacuolar ion channels in CAM plants. J Exp Botany 48, 623-631.
82. Gribble FM, Ashfield R, Ämmälä C, Ashcroft FM (1997). Properties of cloned ATP-sensitive K-currents expressed in Xenopus oocytes. J Physiol 498.1, 87-98.
81. Ashcroft FM (1996) Fresh insights into the interactions of sulphonylureas with ATP-sensitive K-channels. Curr Drugs ID Res Alert 2, 43-47.
80. Karschin C, Ecke C, Ashcroft FM, Karschin A (1996) Overlapping tissue distribution of KATP channel-forming Kir6.2 subunit and the sulphonylurea receptor SUR1 in rodent brain. FEBS Letts 401, 59-64.
79. Proks P, Eliasson L, Ämmälä C, Rorsman P, Ashcroft FM (1996) Ca2+ and GTP-dependent exocytosis in mouse pancreatic B-cells involves both common and distinct steps. J Physiol 496.1, 255-264.
78. Sakura H, Wat N, Horton V, Millns H, Turner RC, Ashcroft FM (1996) Sequence variations in the human Kir6.2 gene, a subunit of the ß-cell ATP-sensitive K-channel: no association with NIDDM in white Caucasian subjects or evidence of abnormal function when expressed in vitro. Diabetologia 39, 1233-1237.
77. Tucker SJ, Pessia M, Moorhouse AJ, Gribble F, Ashcroft FM, Maylies J, Adelman JP (1996) Heteromeric channel formation and Ca2+-free media reduce the toxic effect of the weaver Kir 3.2 allele. FEBS Lett 390, 253-257.
76. Ashcroft FM (1996) Sweet news for hypoglycemic babies. Nat Med 2, 1301-1302.
75. Ämmälä C, Moorhouse A, Ashcroft FM (1996) The sulphonylurea receptor confers diazoxide sensitivity on the inwardly-rectifying K+ channel, Kir6.1. J Physiol 494.3, 709-714.
74. Eliasson L, Proks P, Ämmälä C, Ashcroft FM, Bokvist K, Renström E, Rorsman P, Smith PA (1996) Endocytosis of secretory granules in mouse pancreatic beta-cells evoked by transient elevation of cytosolic calcium. J Physiol 493, 755-767.
73. Ämmälä C, Moorhouse A, Gribble F, Ashfield R, Proks P, Smith PA, Sakura H, Coles B, Ashcroft SJH, Ashcroft FM (1996) Promiscuous coupling between the sulphonylurea receptor and inwardly rectifying potassium channels. Nature 379, 545-548.
72. Ashcroft FM (1996) Mechanisms of the glycaemic effects of sulphonylureas. Horm Metab Res 9, 456-463.
71. Takano M, Ashcroft FM (1996) The Ba2+ block of the ATP-sensitive K+ current of mouse pancreatic -cells. Pflügers Arch 431, 625-631.
70. Sakura H, Ämmälä C, Smith PA, Gribble FM, Ashcroft FM (1995) Cloning and functional expression of the cDNA encoding a novel ATP-sensitive potassium channel expressed in pancreatic -cells, brain, heart and skeletal muscle. FEBS Lett 377, 338-344.
69. Yasuda K, Sakura H, Mori Y, Iwamoto K, Shimokawa K, Kadowaki H, Hagura R, Akanuma A, Adelman JP, Yazaki Y, Ashcroft FM, Kadowaki T (1995) No evidence for mutations in a putative subunit of the beta-cell ATP-sensitive potassium channel (K-ATP channel) in Japanese NIDDM patients. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 211, 1036-1040.
68. Bond CT, Ämmälä C, Ashfield R, Blair TA, Gribble F, Khan RN, Lee K, Proks P, Rowe ICM, Sakura H, Ashford MJ, Adelman JP, Ashcroft FM (1995) Cloning and functional expression of the cDNA encoding an inwardly-rectifying potassium channel expressed in pancreatic -cells and in the brain. FEBS Lett 367, 61-66.
67. Sakura H, Bond C, Warren-Perry M, Horsley S, Kearney L, Tucker S, Adelman J, Turner R, Ashcroft FM (1995) Characterization and genetic variation of a human inwardly rectifying K channel gene (KCNJ6): a putative ATP-sensitive potassium channel. FEBS Lett 367, 193-197.
66. Zhang Y, Warren-Perry M, Sakura H, Adelman J, Stoffel M, Bell GI, Ashcroft FM, Turner RC (1995) No evidence for mutations in a putative beta-cell ATP-sensitive K+ channel in MODY, NIDDM or gestational diabetes. Diabetes 44, 597-600.
65. Smith PA, Duchen MR, Ashcroft FM (1995) A fluorimetric and amperometric study of secretion in isolated mouse pancreatic ß-cells. Pflügers Arch 430, 808-818.
64. Proks P, Ashcroft FM (1995) Effects of divalent cations on exocytosis and endocytosis from single mouse pancreatic ß-cells. J Physiol 487.2, 465-477.
63. Reid JM, Davies AG, Ashcroft FM, Paterson DJ (1995) Effect of L-NMMA, cromakalim and glibenclamide on cerebral blood flow in hypercapnia and hypoxia. Am J Physiol 269, H916-H922.
62. Röper J, Ashcroft FM (1995) Metabolic inhibition and low internal ATP activate K-ATP channels in rat dopaminergic substantia nigra neurones. Pflügers Arch 430, 44-54.
61. Takano M, Ashcroft FM (1994) Effects of internal chloride on ATP-sensitive K-channels in mouse pancreatic ß-cells. Pflugers Arch 428, 194-196.
60. Kenna K, Röper J, Ho K, Hebert S, Ashcroft SJH, Ashcroft FM (1994) Differential expression of the inwardly rectifying K channel ROMK1 in rat brain. Brain Res Mol Brain 24, 353-356.
59. Ashcroft FM, Coles B, Kenna S, Proks P, Röper J, Reid J, Smith PA, Takano M (1994) The KATP and KV channels are distinct entities: a reply to Edwards and Weston. Cardiovasc Res 28, 738-740.
58. Skeer JM, Dégano P, Coles B, Potier M, Ashcroft FM, Ashcroft SJH (1994). Determination of the molecular mass of the native ß-cell sulphonylurea receptor. FEBS Lett 338, 98-102.
57. Smith PA, Williams B, Ashcroft FM (1994) Block of ATP-sensitive K+ channels in isolated mouse pancreatic ß-cells by 2,3-butanedione monoxime. Br J Pharmacol 112, 143-149.
56. Ashcroft FM, Proks P, Smith PA, Ämmälä C, Bokvist K, Rorsman P (1994) Stimulus-secretion coupling in pancreatic ß-cells. J Cell Biochem 55S, 54-65.
55. Proks P, Takano M, Ashcroft FM (1994) Effects of intracellular pH on ATP-sensitive K+ channels in mouse pancreatic ß-cells. J Physiol 475, 33-44.
54. Reid J, Paterson DJ, Ashcroft FM, Bergel DH (1993) The effect of tolbutamide on cerebral blood flow during hypoxia and hypercapnia in the anaesthetised rat. Pflugers Arch 425, 362-364.
53. Ashcroft FM, Röper J (1993) Transporters, channels and human disease. Curr Opin Cell Biol 5, 677-683.
52. Ämmälä C, Eliasson L, Bokvist K, Larsson O, Ashcroft FM, Rorsman P (1993). Exocytosis elicited by action potentials and voltage-clamp calcium currents in individual mouse pancreatic B-cells J Physiol 472, 665-688.
51. Ämmälä C, Ashcroft FM, Rorsman P (1993) calcium-independent potentiation of insulin release by cyclic AMP in single beta-cells. Nature 363, 356-358.
50. Smith PA, Ashcroft FM, Fewtrell CMS (1993) Permeation and gating properties of the L-type calcium channel in mouse pancreatic -cells. J Gen Physiol 101, 767-797.
49. Duchen MR, Smith PA, Ashcroft FM (1993) Substrate-dependent changes in mitochondrial function, intracellular free calcium concentration and membrane channels in pancreatic ß-cells. Biochem J 294, 35-42.
48. Proks P, Ashcroft FM (1993) Modification of K-ATP channels in pancreatic ß-cells by trypsin. Pflugers Arch 424, 63-72.
47. Williams BA, Smith PA, Leow K, Shimizu S, Gray DW, Ashcroft FM (1993) Two types of potassium channels regulated by ATP in pancreatic ß-cells isolated from a type-2 diabetic human. Pflugers Arch 423, 265-273.
46. Ashcroft FM, Ashcroft SJH (1992) The sulphonylurea receptor. Biochem Biophys Acta 1175,45-59.
45. Oosawa Y, Ashcroft SJH, Ashcroft FM (1992) Ca2+-activated K+ channels from an insulin-secreting cell line incorporated into planar lipid bilayers. Diabetologia 35, 619-623.
44. Ashcroft FM, Gibson JS, Kerr AJ, Williams BW (1991) Amantadine and sparteine inhibit ATP-sensitive K-currents in the insulin-secreting beta-cell line, HIT T15. Br J Pharmacol 104, 579-584.
43. Ashcroft FM (1991) Calcium channels and excitation-contraction coupling. Curr Opin Cell Biol 3, 671-675
42. Kelly, RP, Sutton R, Ashcroft FM (1991) Voltage-activated calcium and potassium currents in human pancreatic ß-cells. J Physiol 443, 175-192.
41. Bokvist K, Ämmälä C, Ashcroft FM, Berggren PO, Larsson O, Rorsman P (1991) Separate processes mediate nucleotide-induced inhibition and stimulation of the ATP-regulated K+ channels in mouse pancreatic ß-cells. Proc Roy Soc Lond B 243, 139-144.
40. Hainsworth AH, Roeper J, Kapoor R, Ashcroft FM (1991) Isolation and identification of pars compacta neurones from guinea-pig substantia nigra. Neuroscience 43, 81-93.
39. Ashcroft FM, Smith PA, Fewtrell CMS (1991) L-type Ca-channel activity recorded at a low divalent cation concentration. Biomed Res 12, Suppl 2, 61-63.
38. Rorsman P, Ashcroft FM, Berggren PO (1990) Regulation of glucagon release from pancreatic A-cells. Biochem Pharmacol 41, 1783-1790.
37. Ashcroft FM, Ashcroft SJH (1990) Properties and functions of ATP-sensitive K-channels. Cell Signal 2, 197-214.
36. Roeper J, Hainsworth AH, Ashcroft FM (1990) Tolbutamide reverses membrane hyperpolarization induced by activation of D2 receptors and GABAB receptors in guinea-pig isolated substantia nigra neurones. Pflugers Arch 416, 473-475
35. Betsholtz C, Baumann A, Kenna S, Ashcroft FM, Ashcroft SJH, Berggren PO, Grupe A, Pongs O, Rorsman P, Sandblom J, Welsh M. (1990) Expression of voltage-gated K-channels in insulin-producing cells: analysis by polymerase chain reaction. FEBS Lett 263, 121-126.
34. Smith PA, Rorsman P, Ashcroft FM (1990) Simultaneous recording of glucose dependent electrical activity and ATP-sensitive K-currents in mouse pancreatic ß-cells. FEBS Lett 261, 187-190
33. Ashcroft FM, Kelly RP, Smith PA (1990) Two types of calcium channel in rat pancreatic ß-cells. Pflugers Arch 415, 504-506.
32. Ashcroft FM, Rorsman P (1990) ATP-sensitive K-channels: The link between ß-cell metabolism and insulin secretion. Biochem Soc Trans 18, 109-111.
31. Ashcroft FM, Rorsman P (1989) Electrophysiology of the pancreatic ß-cell. Prog Biophys Mol Biol 54, 87-143.
30. Smith PA, Rorsman P, Ashcroft FM (1989) Modulation of dihydropyridine-sensitive Ca2+ channels by glucose metabolism in mouse pancreatic ß-cells Nature 342, 550-553.
29. Niki, I, Ashcroft FM, Ashcroft SJH (1989) The dependence on intracellular ATP concentration of ATP-sensitive K-channels and of Na-K-ATPase in intact HIT-T15 ß-cells. FEBS Lett 257, 361-364.
28. Ashcroft SJH, Ashcroft FM (1989) The role of the ATP-sensitive K-channel in stimulus-response coupling in the pancreatic ß-cell. Horm Cell Reg 198, 99-103.
27. Niki I, Kelly RP, Ashcroft SJH, Ashcroft FM. (1989) ATP-sensitive K-channels in HIT T15 ß-cells studied by patch-clamp methods, 86Rb efflux and glibenclamide binding. Pflugers Arch 415, 47-55.
26. Ashcroft FM, Kakei M, Gibson JS, Gray DW, Sutton R. (1989) The ATP- and tolbutamide sensitivity of the ATP-sensitive K-channel from human pancreatic ß-cells. Diabetologia 32, 591-598.
25. Ashcroft FM, Kakei M. (1989) ATP-sensitive K-channels: modulation by ATP and Mg2+ ions. J Physiol 416, 349-367.
24. Ashcroft FM, Kakei M, Kelly RP (1989). Rubidium and sodium permeability of the ATP-sensitive K+ channel in single pancreatic ß-cells J Physiol 408, 413-430.
23. Ashcroft FM, Rorsman P, Trube G (1989). Single calcium channel activity in mouse pancreatic ß-cells. Ann NY Acad Sci 560, 410-412.
22. Findlay I, Ashcroft FM, Kelly RP, Rorsman P, Petersen OH, Trube G (1989). Calcium currents in insulin-secreting ß-cells. Ann NY Acad Sci 560, 403-409.
21. Ashcroft FM, Ashcroft SJH, Berggren PO, Betsholz C, Rorsman P, Trube G, Welsh M (1988). Expression of K channels in Xenopus laevis oocytes injected with poly (A+) mRNA from the insulin-secreting ß-cell line, HIT T15. FEBS Lett 239, 185-189.
20. Rorsman P, Ashcroft FM, Trube G (1988) Single Ca channel currents in mouse pancreatic ß-cells. Pflugers Arch 412, 597-603.
19. Ashcroft FM, Ashcroft SJH, Harrison DE (1988) Properties of single potassium channels modulated by glucose in rat pancreatic ß-cells. J Physiol 400, 501-527.
18. Ashcroft FM (1988) Adenosine 5'-triphosphate-sensitive potassium channels. Ann Rev Neurosci 11, 97-118.
17. Ashcroft FM, Kakei M, Kelly RP, Sutton R (1987) ATP-sensitive K+ channels in human isolated pancreatic ß-cells. FEBS Lett 215, 9-12.
16. Kakei M, Ashcroft FM (1987) A microflow superfusion system for use with excised membrane patches. Pflugers Arch 409, 337-341.
15. Ashcroft FM, Ashcroft SJH, Harrison DE (1987) Effects of 2-ketoisocaproate on insulin release and single potassium channel activity in dispersed rat pancreatic ß-cells. J Physiol 385, 517-529.
14. Kakei M, Kelly RP, Ashcroft SJH, Ashcroft FM (1986) The ATP-sensitivity of K+ channels in rat pancreatic ß-cells is modulated by ADP. FEBS Lett 208, 63-66.
13. Ashcroft FM, Heiny JA, Vergara J (1985) Inward rectification in the transverse tubular system of frog skeletal muscle studied with potentiometric dyes. J Physiol 359, 269-291.
12. Ashcroft FM, Harrison DE, Ashcroft SJH (1984) Glucose induces closure of single potassium channels in isolated rat pancreatic ß-cells. Nature 312, 446-448.
11. Ashcroft FM (1984) The role of ion channels in lymphocyte activation. Immunol Today 5, 232-233.
10. Heiny JA, Ashcroft FM, Vergara J (1983) T-system optical signals associated with inward rectification in frog skeletal muscle. Nature 301, 164-166.
9. Ashcroft FM, Stanfield PR (1983) The influence of the permeant ions thallous and potassium on inward rectification in frog skeletal muscle. J Physiol 343, 407-428.
8. Ashcroft FM, Stanfield PR (1982) Calcium inactivation in skeletal muscle fibres of the stick insect, Carausius morosus. J Physiol 330, 349-372.
7. Ashcroft FM, Stanfield PR (1982) Calcium and potassium currents in muscle fibres of an insect (Carausius morosus). J Physiol 322, 93-117.
6. Stanfield PR, Ashcroft FM (1982) Calcium currents of frog and insect skeletal muscle fibres measured during voltage clamp. Can J Physiol Pharm 60, 508-512.
5. Stanfield PR, Ashcroft FM, Plant TD (1981) Gating of a muscle K+ channel and its dependence on the permeating ion species. Nature 289, 509-511.
4. Ashcroft FM, Stanfield PR (1981) Calcium dependence of the inactivation of calcium currents in skeletal muscle fibres of an insect. Science 213, 224-226.
3. Stanfield PR, Standen NB, Leech CA, Ashcroft FM (1981) Inward rectification in skeletal muscle fibres. Adv Physiol Sci 5, 247-262.
2. Ashcroft FM (1981) Calcium action potentials in the skeletal muscle fibres of the insect, Carausius morosus. J Exp Biol 93, 257-267.
1. Ashcroft FM (1980) The electrical constants of the skeletal muscle fibres of the stick insect, Carausius morosus. J Exp Biol 86, 249-258.
27. Lahmann C, Ashcroft FM (2017) DEND syndrome: developmental delay, epilepsy and neonatal diabetes - a potassium channelopathy. In Inherited Metabolic Epilepsies. 2nd edition. Ed. Pl Pearl. Demos Medical Publishing. in the press.
25. Ashcroft FM (2014) The Spark of Life. In Life. Eds. Brown W & Fabian A. Cambridge University Press. pp24-40.
26. Lahmann C, Ashcroft FM (2012) DEND syndrome: developmental delay, epilepsy and neonatal diabetes - a potassium channelopathy. In Inherited Metabolic Epilepsies. pp250. Ed. PL Pearl. Demos Medical Publishing. pp189-190
24. Ashcroft FM (2010) Chapter 4.4, Ion Channels and Disease. In Oxford Textbook of Medicine 5th edition. Eds. DA Warrell, TM Cox & JD Firth Oxford University Press.
23. Ashcroft FM, Proks P (2007) ATP-sensitive potassium channels in health and disease. In "The Pancreatic beta-cell in health and disease". Ed Seino S, Bell G. In the press.
22. Ashcroft FM (2003) Ion Channels and Disease. In Oxford Textbook of Medicine 4th edition. Eds.DA Warrell, TM Cox & JD Firth Oxford University Press, pp.112-118.
21. Matsuo M, Ueda K, Ryder T, Ashcroft FM (2002) The sulfonylurea receptor: an ABCC transporter that acts as an ion channel regulator. In ABC Proteins: from bacteria to man. Eds. B Holland, K Kuchler, C Higgins and S Cole. Academic Press. pp. 551-577.
20. Proks P, Ashcroft FM (2002) Potassium channels: human. In Wiley Encyclopedia of Molecular Medicine. Ed. T.E. Creighton. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. pp 2554-2558.
19. Ashcroft FM, Trapp S (2001) The ATP-sensitive potassium channel: a metabolic sensor. In Molecular mechanisms of metabolic arrest. Ed. K.B. Storey. BIOS Scientific Publishers Ltd. pp 43-59.
18. Ashcroft FM, Blakemore C (2001) Sense Organs. In the Oxford Companion to the Body. Eds. C Blakemore & S Jennett. Oxford University Press. pp. 603-604.
17. Ashcroft FM, Blakemore C (2001) Sensory Receptors. In the Oxford Companion to the Body. Eds. C Blakemore & S Jennett. Oxford University Press. p.606
16. Ashcroft FM (2001) Action Potentials. In the Oxford Companion to the Body. Eds. C Blakemore & S Jennett. Oxford University Press. p6-7.
15. Ashcroft FM (2001) Refractory Period. In the Oxford Companion to the Body. Eds. C Blakemore & S Jennett. Oxford University Press. p.585.
14. Ashcroft FM (2001) Synapse. In the Oxford Companion to the Body. Eds. C Blakemore & S Jennett. Oxford University Press. p. 670-671.
13. Ashcroft FM (1998) Ion Channels and Disease. In Fundamental Neuroscience. Eds. MJ Zigmond, FE Bloom, SC Landis, JL Roberts & LR Squire. Academic Press. pp.142-143.
12. Faehling M, Ashcroft FM (1997) Heterogeneity of ß-cell secretion: possible involvement of K-ATP channels. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 426, 247-252.
11. Smith P, Millard PJ, Fewtrell CMS, Ashcroft FM (1997) Heterogeneity of ß-cell Ca2+ responses to glucose. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 426, 253-257.
10. Niki I, Coles B, Ashcroft FM, Ashcroft SJH (1997) Effects of protein phosphorylation on the sulphonylurea receptor of the pancreatic ß-cell. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 426, 59-69.
9. Ashcroft FM, Rorsman P (1995) Electrophysiology of pancreatic islet cells. In The Electrophysiology of Neuroendocrine Cells. Ed J Heschler & H Scherubl. CRC Press. pp 207-245.
8. Ashcroft SJH, Niki I, Kenna S, Weng L, Skeer J, Coles B, Ashcroft FM (1993) The ß-cell sulphonylurea receptor. In New Concepts in the Pathogenesis of NIDDM. Eds CG Östenson, S Effendic & M Vranic. Plenum Press New York. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 334, 47-61.
7. Ashcroft FM, Williams B, Smith PA, Fewtrell CMS (1992) Ion channels involved in the regulation of nutrient-stimulated insulin secretion. In Nutrient regulation of insulin secretion Ed P Flatt. Portland Press Ltd. pp. 193-213.
6. O'Donnell JMM, Ashcroft FM, Brown HF, Nye PCG (1989) Single channel recordings from isolated carotid body cells. In Reflexes and Breathing Mechanisms ed. S. Lahiri, R.E. Forster, R.O. Davies & A.I. Pack, pp. 133-138. Oxford University Press.
5. Ashcroft FM, Harrison DE, Ashcroft SJH (1987) A potassium channel modulated by glucose metabolism in rat pancreatic ß-cells. In Biophysics of the Pancreatic ß-cell. Eds. I Atwater, E Rojas & B Soria. Plenum Press.
4. Pichon Y, Ashcroft FM (1985) Nerve and muscle: Electrical activity. In Comprehensive Insect Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology. Volume 5. Eds. GA Kerkut & LI Gilbert. pp. 85-115.
3. Ashcroft FM, Stanfield PR (1983). The influence of permeant ions on the kinetics of inward rectification in skeletal muscle. In The Physiology of Excitable Cells. Eds. A Grinell & WR Moody. Alan Liss. pp 97-108.
2. Ashcroft FM (1982) Electrical properties of insect muscle. In Membrane Physiology of Invertebrates. Ed. RB Podesta. Marcel Dekker. pp. 567-604.
1. Ashcroft FM, Stanfield PR (1981) Inactivation of calcium currents in insect skeletal muscle. In The Mechanism of Gated Calcium Transport. Eds. ST Ohnishi & M Endo. Academic Press. pp71-77
18. Ashcroft FM (2021) Isolating the islet. Cell metabolism 33, 692-3.
17. Ashcroft FM (2018) Influences: Find a friend. J Gen Physiol 150, 895-896
16. Ashcroft FM (2015) Find a friend. Cell metabolism 22, 949.
15. Ashcroft FM (2015) Rosalind Franklin and Photograph 51. The Lancet 386, 1439-1440
14. Ashcroft FM (2013) Off Piste Times Higher Education, 1 November 2012, pp 46-48
13. Ashcroft FM (2011) Life is sweat - living in heat, Times Eureka magazine, July 2011, pp 35-39
12. Ashcroft FM (2006) A physiologist discusses matters close to the heart. Nature 444, 127.
11. Ashcroft FM (2006) Source of Our Force. Sparks (Boston Science Museum Newsletter) April-May issue, pp 4-5.
10. Ashcroft FM (2006) Tall tales and short stories. Sparks (Boston Science Musuem Newsletter) Feb-March issue, pp 4-5.
9. Ashcroft FM (2006) Across the Universe. Sparks (Boston Science Musuem Newsletter) Feb-March issue, pp 4-5.
8. Ashcroft FM (2005) The Big Chill. Sparks (Boston Science Musuem Newsletter) Feb-March issue, pp 4-5.
7. Ashcroft FM (2004). Science is the art of doubt, not of certainty. Spiked at www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CA9CE.htm
6. Cameron D, Ashcroft F (2004) Alexis Rockman - Wonderful World. Camden Arts Centre 64pp.
5. Ashcroft FM (2000) Reflections of Royal Society University Research Fellowship recipients who have become Fellows of the Royal Society, part 1. Notes and records of the Royal Society of London 54, 409-410.
4. Ashcroft FM (2000) The palette and the pipette. Times Higher Educational Supplement, Friday September 15, p. 20.
3. Ashcroft FM (1997) The Art of Presentation. Physiological Society Magazine 26, 22-23.
2. Ashcroft FM (1988) Patch-clamping brain neurones. IBRO News 16, 5.
1. Ashcroft FM (1985) New windows into nerve cells. New Scientist Oct 24th. 32-35.
Abstracts are not listed.