Opportunities for Public Engagement
Current outreach opportunities
Communicate your science digitally with Oxford Sparks!
Oxford Sparks is a portal for engaging with a wealth of exciting science taking place across the University. Alongside some shiny new branding, Oxford Sparks will be creating live action video content which will be shared across the Sparks website and social media channels. Would you like to share your research with others? Submit an expression of interest now!
Ongoing outreach opportunities
Please check individual links for current status of initiatives and events.
Digital outreach ideas and events
- Check out MPLS's tips for Using Social Media to Communicate Your Research.
- The Conversation - The University of Oxford is a member of The Conversation, an online source of thought-provoking articles written by researchers and academics for the public in the UK and globally.
- Oxplore - An innovative digital outreach portal from the University that aims to engage 11-18 year olds with debates and ideas that go beyond what is covered in school.
- Skype a Scientist - matches scientists with classrooms around the world without having to leave the lab!
- I’m a Scientist, get me out of here! Online activity where school students connect with real scientists about real science. It’s a competition between scientists, where students are the judges.
- I'm a Researcher, get me out of here! Online activity where school students connect with academic researchers. It’s a competition between the researchers, where students are the judges.
Within the University
The Forum - a new termly series of events for Oxford's research community to explore and debate Public Engagement with Research practice and policy and provide opportunities for sharing learning and networking.
- The Museum of Natural History - ScienceSaturdays and SuperScienceSaturdays enables families to explore the collections, take part in interactive activities and meet the University's scientists. Get involved with exhibitions and regular events at the museum. Contact Carly Smith-Huggins for more information.
- TORCH - The Oxford Research Centre in the Humanities, offering opportunities for medical humanities interdisciplinary collaborations. Contact Victoria McGuinness for more information.
- Gardens, Libraries and Museums (GLAM) - information about how to engage with GLAM's Public Engagement with Research programme.
External events and activities
- Big Bang Fair - the largest stem science fair for young people in the UK.
- Cheltenham Science Festival - Annual 6-day celebration of science, with discussions, schools shows, hands-on workshops, performances and interactive exhibitions.
- IF Oxford Science + Ideas Festival - Annual event to engage audiences with research in Oxford.
- Soap Box Science - Public outreach platform for promoting female scientists and their work.
- Bright Club - Organises collaborative events between comedians and researchers.
- MRC Festival of Medical Research - annual organised events for MRC-funded units, centres and institutes to showcase and discuss their work throughout the UK
- Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition - week long festival celebrating the cutting edge of UK science.
- Science Cabaret - informal talks in bars, cafes and other public venues.
- Opportunities from the NCCPE - includes Engage Academy, Engage Researchers' Academy and PEP Network.
- Science Swindon - Science Swindon launched a new science festival with support from the Science Museum.
- There is a central University Engagement Opportunities page with information about festivals and programmes that provide opportunities to work with the public.
- See more information on festivals and events available for researchers to engage with the public.