Opportunities for Public Engagement
current outreach opportunitieS
It’s more important than ever that we continue to communicate the amazing research going on at the University of Oxford, so please see below for some online opportunities.
Communicate your science digitally with Oxford Sparks!
Oxford Sparks (a platform for resources and materials which highlight a range of science topics, part of MPLS) hopes to achieve our goal above through the creation and sharing of new, fun digital content. But, as we can no longer hold face-to-face meetings, we need your help! If you are a scientific researcher at the University, and would like to get involved, please complete this form - we'd love to hear from you (don’t worry, you don’t need to leave the house)! If you would like to apply without using Google Forms, or would like more information, please email email@example.com.
Other Digital Outreach Ideas and Events:
- Check out MPLS's tips for Using Social Media to Communicate Your Research.
- The Conversation - The University of Oxford is a member of The Conversation, an online source of thought-provoking articles written by researchers and academics for the public in the UK and globally. If you would like an opportunity to raise the profile of your research, or simply to improve your writing and public engagement skills, you can pitch articles to The Conversation.
- Oxplore - An innovative digital outreach portal from the University that aims to engage 11-18 year olds with debates and ideas that go beyond what is covered in school. As an academic or researcher you can get involved by building new material for the website, but it is also a point of contact for outreach contributions, since they are already connected with lots of schools, particularly those in hard to reach areas.
- Skype a Scientist - matches scientists with classrooms around the world! We want to give students the opportunity to get to know a “real scientist”. This program allows us to reach students from all over the world without having to leave the lab! Sign up as a scientist here.
- I’m a Scientist, get me out of here! Online activity where school students connect with real scientists about real science. It’s a competition between scientists, where students are the judges. Students challenge the scientists over fast-paced online text-based live CHATs. They ASK the scientists anything they want, and VOTE for their favourite scientist to win a prize of £500 to communicate their work with the public.
- I'm a Researcher, get me out of here! Online activity where school students connect with academic researchers. It’s a competition between the researchers, where students are the judges. Students challenge the researchers over fast-paced online text-based live CHATs. They ASK the researchers anything they want, and VOTE for their favourite to win a prize of £500 to engage the public with their research.
ongoing outreach opportunities
Please check individual links for current status of initiatives and events.
Within the University:
The Forum - a new termly series of events for Oxford's research community to explore and debate Public Engagement with Research practice and policy and provide opportunities for sharing learning and networking.
- The Museum of Natural History - ScienceSaturdays and SuperScienceSaturdays enables families to explore the collections, take part in interactive activities and meet the University's scientists.Get involved with exhibitions and regular events at the museum. Contact Carly Smith-Huggins for more information.
- TORCH - The Oxford Research Centre in the Humanities, offering opportunities for medical humanities interdisciplinary collaborations. Contact Victoria McGuinness for more information.
- TORCH Theatre workshops - Interested in writing for the stage and working with young people or want to find out about collaborating with Theatres? Open to researchers and taught students from all departments, faculties and schools. Find out more here.
- Gardens, Libraries and Museums (GLAM) - information about how to engage with GLAM's Public Engagement with Research programme.
Other events and activities:
- Big Bang Fair - the largest stem science fair for young people in the UK.
- Cheltenham Science Festival - Annual 6-day celebration of science, with discussions, schools shows, hands-on workshops, performances and interactive exhibitions.
- IF Oxford Science + Ideas Festival - Annual event to engage audiences with research in Oxford.
- Soap Box Science - Public outreach platform for promoting female scientists and their work.
- Bright Club - Organises collaborative events between comedians and researchers.
- I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here - Free online event for school students to meet and interact with scientists.
- MRC Festival of Medical Research - annual organised events for MRC-funded units, centres and institutes to showcase and discuss their work throughout the UK
- Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition - week long festival celebrating the cutting edge of UK science.
- Science Cabaret - informal talks in bars, cafes and other public venues.
- Opportunities from the NCCPE - includes Engage Academy, Engage Researchers' Academy and PEP Network.
- Science Swindon - Science Swindon is launching a new science festival with support from the Science Museum. Explore opportunities here.
There is a central University Engagement Opportunities page with information about festivals and programmes that provide opportunities to work with the public.
- Click here for more information on festivals and events available for researchers to engage with the public.