Head of Administration and Finance
As Head of Administration and Finance I work with the Head of Department on all aspects of strategic and operational planning and governance. I also manage the professional teams that provide services and resources that ensure the safe, effective and sustainable operation of the department, including:
- budgeting, forecasting and financial planning;
- development of business cases and provision of management information;
- all financial activity in the department including purchasing and payments and the operation of a sound financial control framework;
- research grant applications and pre- and post- award grant management;
- research facilitation and REF coordination;
- Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) and Athena Swan coordination;
- recruitment and selection and all aspects of HR;
- health and safety;
- building and facilities management;
- IT and digital media services; and
I work with staff in the Medical Sciences Divisional Office, senior administrative staff in the central University and other heads of administration and finance.
This is my second spell in DPAG; I studied here for a BA in Physiological Sciences (1989-1992), and I am delighted to be back in the Sherrington Building. After graduating, I trained as a chartered accountant, qualifying with a Big Four firm in London. I spent several years in strategic and financial roles in the commercial sector. I joined the University in 2005, working initially in the Planning and Resource Allocation Section, involved with the design of the JRAM. Since then I have held a number of roles in Wellington Square, most recently as Head of Assurance and Risk Management, responsible for the University’s internal audit service and Secretary to the Audit and Scrutiny Committee.