Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics
COVID-19 Return to On-Site Working: Safety in the laboratory and associated areas
1. Wear your designated lab coat and safety glasses at all times.Lab coats should be sent to be washed regularly and stored separately from other people’s lab coats (on isolated pegs or in bags)
2. Wash your hands with soap and water regularly, even if you have been wearing gloves.
3. If wearing gloves, remember to wash those as regularly as you would your hands, as they can also carry virus.
4. Remove gloves before touching doors, handles, etc. either when moving between rooms or when leaving the laboratory area.
5. You can use a general use face covering or a surgical face mask in the lab, as appropriate for your work. If you need extra protection when working closely, you can use a face shield in addition to a face mask/covering. If you have been face-fitted you can wear your respirator. Remember to wash your hands before and after handling your mask/shield/respirator.
6. Wear a face mask when using the cold room or fetching ice/dry ice.
7. You can have your phone in a pocket but do not put it on any working area and do not
handle it using gloves.
8. Clean all work surfaces and items of equipment you have used, especially at the start and
end of a work shift. This includes shared equipment like -80s and ice machines.
9. In case of an emergency: during core hours phone reception (72500); out of hours call