Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

What induction arrangements will be made?

There is an Introductory Day for all new graduate students to the Department, during Michaelmas Term in 0th week. The programme for such is sent out during August to the incoming cohort. Students are also encouraged to attend a welcome event at the start of Michaelmas Term at the MSTC hosted by the Medical Sciences Division Graduate School. Your supervisor(s) will arrange more specialised induction subsequently that will cover areas around your local laboratory and building within which you will be located.

A useful university page for students provides advice and updates, news and events, student self-service and useful links including the student handbook and emergency contacts.

What IT support/ library facilities/ experimental facilities will be available?

You will have access to the Department’s IT support and University Library services such as the Radcliffe Science Library and the Cairns Library. All of which will be introduced to you at your induction. The provision of other resources specific to your project should be agreed with your supervisor as a part of the planning stages of the agreed project. Workspace will be related to individual circumstances. If undertaking experimental work, you will be provided with bench space in a laboratory. If undertaking theoretical research, you will have shared office space.

Which research seminars and courses will be available?

You will have access to regular Departmental Seminars, "Skills and Training courses", peer presentation groups for fine tuning presentation deliverance, Graduate Student social events that incorporate informal talks aimed at  students and access to a programme of all seminars within the university via Oxford Talks. Students are strongly encouraged to make full use of the courses relevant to their research degree on the skills portal.

What arrangements are in place for pastoral and welfare support?

Within the Department, your supervisor, Director of Graduate Studies and Graduate Studies Administrator are all available to offer support. Student views and concerns can be communicated to the Department via the Graduate Studies Committee or via the DPAG student representatives. Students may also seek support from their SDTA (Senior Doctoral Training Advisor). In addition you may report your views and concerns to the Divisional Graduate Joint Consultative Committee.

There is an extensive framework of support for graduates within each college. Your college will allocate to you a College Advisor from among its Senior Members, usually in a cognate subject, who will arrange to see you from time to time and whom you may contact for additional advice and support on academic and other matters. In college you may also approach the Tutor for Graduates and/or the Senior Tutor for advice. The Tutor for Graduates is a fellow of the college with particular responsibility for the interests and welfare of graduate students. In some colleges, the Senior Tutor will also have the role of Tutor for Graduates. Each college will also have other named individuals who can offer individual advice. The University also has a professionally staffed confidential Student Counselling Service which offers assistance with personal, emotional, social and academic problems.

The Department has a zero tolerance towards harassment and bullying as they are an unacceptable form of behaviour.  The DPAG harassment and bullying advisors are Professor Keith Dorrington, Professor Paul Riley and Mrs Fiona Woods.  There is also a confidential Harassment Line which may be contacted for a referral for help outside the department, college or division -

The University provides a Student Counselling Service and Careers Service. The Student Counselling Service at 11 Wellington Square acts in strict confidence and is experienced in helping students with a wide variety of physical and psychological disabilities relating to academic work. Other useful sources of support are listed on the Health & Welfare pages of the University website.

Details on how to make complaints in relation to your degree are available on the Complaints and academic appeals section of the University website and the full University Student Complaints Procedure can be accessed on the Academic Support website (SSO may be required).